Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: 5-5 JJ hand

The pre-flop raise is irrelevent. ATs, and JTs are certainly in the realm of limping hands. You think this guy has an overpair like a limp with KK or QQ or AA. I doubt that. The pre-flop description of the player tells me he has the goods, and quite possibly had them on the flop.

The situation is: I can't really read my opponant for a hand I can beat and he's pushing a big bet in on the turn with 4 cards to straight on the board.

Now, the pre-flop raise becomes relevent because it revealed some strength in hero's hand. Villian must have considered the possibility that Hero has AA or KK, or even QQ and thinks he has that hand beat. That either spells underset, or straight. The $350 bet on the turn means he is not afraid of the straight -- so either he has it himself, or he for sure puts Hero on AA, KK, and even QQ. QQ is also a possible holding for Villian too.

With $110 of my money in the pot, facing a $350 call and potential push on the river that I would be hard pressed to call, I'm folding.

If you think you have him beat, and his hand is inferior, then just push it all in now because facing an all in bet you just might chicken out.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:14 PM

" good players don't tend to limp in UTG w/TJ and call preflop raises." Why not, if the hand will be played multiway?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:07 PM

Because you have no way of knowing it will be multiway when youre UTG and you sure dont want to be calling a raise with JT. Even if I KNEW the raise would be called 2 or 3 times, I still fold JT to a raise.

If theres a raise and 4 callers (including you), the pot is going to be big already. If you flop a draw, its going to be VERY expensive to try to hit it.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Ok I had a hard time putting him on a hand after he called me on the flop. If he was on the flush draw I think he'd most likely lead out at the flop, AQ would probably raise me, so the only real hands I could put him were QQ, 99, and 88. I felt there was a small chance he could be holding something like TT, but again leading out would make more sense. When the turn came and he lead out I was almost certain he had a set, so when I called the turn I was well prepared to call an all in bet on the river if I had to, knowing I can only lose to QQ. I called his all in and he tabled 88. How do you think he played the hand?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:54 PM

I think he played this hand pretty poorly. There are a lot of cards that will kill his hand or kill his action (A/K/J/T/7/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) so he should try to get a lot more money in on the flop either by check/raising or by leading out. I would prefer leading out. As you said, if he had a flush draw you would expect him to lead out so there is a pretty good chance that you raise his lead on the flop and he can come over the top, stop and go, or check/raise the turn. All better options than the way he played this hand.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Out of all my choices, looks like he put you on big overpair and wasn't afraid of the straight.

I think villian should have been concerned with your call on the turn. I don't like his push on the end.