Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 AM

Default 5-5 JJ hand

My 5-5 game has a $500 cap buy in but thanks to a good run of cards and some moves, I've built my stack to $1700, my opponent in this hand won a $1200 pot when he called two all ins with a nut flush draw, he's a pretty decent player from what I've seen I think I put him in the straight forward, but capable of making moves category. We're 8 handed villain limps utg another player limps in and I make it $35 to go in lp with blacks jacks. Only villain calls.

Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet $75, he calls.

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He leads out for $300, he has about $1000 behind, what's your play?

Edit: Sorry flop was 8d not 7
Old 02-23-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: 5-5 JJ hand

im thinking he has an under set, 77 or 99. if this is the case, i'd push of course. do you think he's capable of coming in with a T8s?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 AM

Call and see what he does on the river. I wouldn't raise this on the turn. This is a classic "keep him in the lead when you're ahead and minimizes losses when behind." Call down barring a great read.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:58 AM

Call. Go for the river read. I'd be hard pressed to call an all-in on the river without the board pairing.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM

I call. River is 2d, he goes all in.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 PM

NLD
Old 02-24-2005, 02:25 AM

the edit to the original post makes my first reply irrelevant
Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 AM

totally read dependent situation
Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 AM

I'm going to fold. Uninspiring players making big bets on the turn spell trouble. I don't have much money in the pot and my opponant (and me) don't have enough money in front for a payoff should I fill (and needed to have).

Easy Easy Easy fold. So what if I folded the potential winner. I got $110 in the pot and looking to having to call $350. If you don't fill, you're gunna be awfully sick if he pushes all in on the river.

The math I think says calling to fill is a slight +EV

pot size 520, with a call of 300, against a stack size of 1000 -- If he pays off and JJJXX is good. Your lookin at about 5-1 payoff on about a 4-1 hand.

But do you have the fortitude to fold the river should he bet again?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:39 AM

Assuming he's a good player, it's hard to imagine a hand villain has with a ten in it, given that he limped in UTG. TJ, AT of spades or TT are possible here. The first possibility is unlikely-good players don't tend to limp in UTG w/TJ and call preflop raises. The second possibility is unlikely given the preflop action and the last possibility is unlikely given the flop action. Would your opponent call for 75 dollars with a gut shot? I doubt it given that he has no reason to believe he can take the requisite money off you if he hits. So I think the only thing you have to worry about is ATs-this is too slim a possibility given all the other possible holdings to justify playing scared this hand. If you respect this player's game enough that you doubt he would play garbage like ATs or TJ for under the gun for a raise preflop, I raise him all-in here and hope he has two-pair or a flush draw. If you think he might have that kind of hole in his game, just call and fold to an all-in on the river. It's entirely dependent on your read of his preflop hand selection, but I would be very confident here in this spot.