Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Advice sought from anyone who has recently moved up to 10/20...

when I made that move the thing I learned very quickly was that for my style of play (tight, aggressive - which I beleive form yuor post you are) full 10 handed games were allot more profitable than the 6 handed games as starting hand selection was more intuitive (got killed short handed when I initially made the move) - with that in mind, if you are comfertable with your bankroll the move should be long term profitable (and by playing full games your variance will tend to be lower vs. 6 handed or shorter games) - best of luck......
Old 02-19-2005, 12:59 AM

I've been playing Party's $10/$20 for the past couple of months now after making a too large jump from $5/$10 to $15/$30 and staying there for about 6 months. I found that I can not handle the large swings yet in $15/$30 and my BB/100 is not so great in that game, so have settled into 2 tabling the $10/$20 for the time being.

The $10/$20 games are mostly one raise and two or three callers preflop, instead of the $5/$10 games being slightly more loose and passive. You will find one or two tricky and decent players per table, similar to the $5/$10 games however you do not find as many calling stations. Even the fish are aggressive most of the time at this level. I still seem to find at least 3 LAG players at most tables and they seem to feed the game nicely. I have been running fairly well at this game at around 3.5 BB/100. You should be able to do the same, as it sounds like you play about the same as I do. I run around 17-19% VP$IP, 5+%PFR, and about 55-60% W$atSD.

I think your idea of 300BB as a bankroll is a good idea also. I have about 450BB as my bankroll now and it feels real comfortable.

Don't take that idea of middle pairs too far in this game as they use the "isolate the early limper with a raise" play quite well here. Just play your regular TAG game and you'll be fine at $10/$20 in my opinion. Good Luck.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I really understand the numbers and have definitely waited for situations with a pretty clear overlay in order to get involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the easy situations that most 'decent breakeven players' can figure out.

One can beat the lower limits for quite a bit by sticking to this thought...but...the money at the higher limits is where it's not super clear.

[ QUOTE ]

I seem to consistently have the lowest VP$IP whenver I play (although it is close reasonably often).

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the guys with a higher VPIP are pullin more than you. It's not a who can play the tightest contenst.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:53 AM

I bet the guys with a higher VPIP are pullin more than you. It's not a who can play the tightest contenst.

I know I am still too tight... I am learning and adding situational plays to my game... clearly other higher VPIP players are making a ton more than me.

I read Poker Essays 2 by Mason and he has an article about how winning players play situational poker but in general that ends up being 15% of their hands over a number of sessions... well, despite being so tight I am playing 15-17% of my hands... (my VP$IP is lower but that isn't what Mason was referring to). In fact, that article helped me become a consistent winner. I freely admit I am not 'extracting the maximum' and have a lot to learn. My post was not meant to brag about earning money at poker... It just occured to me that given my current style, it would seem to work almost as well at 10/20 as it does at 5/10... I am not yet psychologically ready for the swings of 10/20 (I can do it financially) so I am not going to do it until I play a lot more hands at 5/10.

looking for comments on Masons article really, maybe I will start a thread...