Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: A Hand vs. Clarkmeister

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your play on the turn seems incongruous with check-folding any spade on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you say that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it seems like a large number of the hands that Clark will bet the turn with won't have a spade in them. So when your checkraise works, I think it's hazardous to check/fold a river spade in a pot that has gotten fairly big.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM

You obviously know a lot more about Clark than I do, so my comments make some assumptions about Clark and your poker-table relationship with him that might not be accurate.

Anyway, I think the two check-raises are fine if your intention is to try to sell a spade flush. But in that case, your plan on the river is totally bassackwards. You should bet if a fourth spade comes and either bet or check-call if it doesn't.

If Clark had As-Xo or something like Js-Th, he might have 3-bet the flop to try for a free card on the turn. If he had As-Xs or Js-Ts, he probably would have either checked or 3-bet the flop and/or 3-bet the turn. So not only should you not be afraid of the fourth spade, but you should bet if it comes, because it's going to be hard for Clark to call with a hand like Ah-Qh or Ah-5s or KJo and only 10.25 bets in the pot. You've been saying all along that you have the spades...why stop now? And if he does fold, you have the added benefit of not having to show your hand and being able to try this line again in the future. There are also the times he calls with a losing hand like AQ and you pick up an extra bet.

If he raises, you should reraise on the river if you think he's clever enough to put you on the As and stingy enough to fold his little spade (this is assuming the fourth spade isn't the 3s, which pairs the board).

If a NON-spade comes, you can either bet out or check-call, depending on how you feel. I would be inclined to check in hopes of getting Clark to bet so that I can avoid showing my hand first. If he turns over the winner, I'd like to muck without him and the rest of the table knowing I was doing all this betting with top pair, cheese kicker and no spade.

Check-folding is simply not an option when you've got top pair heads-up, no matter what comes on the river. The pot is too big at this point (from your point of view).

But like I said, this analysis is making some assumptions about how you guys play.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Andy says..last call

[ QUOTE ]
If you win, I'll give you $1,000. If you lose, you give $100 to the charity of my choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the deal of the century... even assuming you're going to "lose," you're giving $100 to charity so you can't consider that "losing." And if you win, random free $1,000.

Not to mention a fun story.

Hell, I wish I talked some smack for this deal....

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2005, 12:50 AM

You're two to the right of Clarkmeister? Your seat selection skills need work [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Old 02-17-2005, 01:10 AM

"I'm not sure I would not have done it if I hadn't seen Andy check-raise Clark on an earlier flop, then check-call him on the turn."

I played that hand terribly. I should have check-raised the turn like you did here.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm not sure I would not have done it if I hadn't seen Andy check-raise Clark on an earlier flop, then check-call him on the turn."

I played that hand terribly. I should have check-raised the turn like you did here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you had. It would have taken nerve gas to get me to fold in that spot. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 02:06 AM

Well I said I played it terribly. Doesn't mean I couldn't have played it even worse. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Always good to see you, my friend.

Andy
Old 02-17-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I said I played it terribly. Doesn't mean I couldn't have played it even worse. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Always good to see you, my friend.

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see you as well, as always.

Some spots you get cold decked and it's impossible to play it well. This was such a spot. I'm just not good enough to fold that hand in that situation.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:30 AM

"Some spots you get cold decked and it's impossible to play it well. This was such a spot. I'm just not good enough to fold that hand in that situation."

While I don't believe your last sentence, let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that it's true. Wouldn't a better player know this, and thus lose less than one who didn't?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:42 AM

Well Andy, it's not like you lost a lot, right? I'm assuming you had a pair between that king and whatever the next card was and given that, you likely need to see a showdown there.