Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Could he Get Away from this Hand?

i guess people have pretty much covered this but i just wanted to ask more explicitly - if you're so sure he's super tight, why didn't you check raise the flop? if you check raise the flop he puts you on K10, Q10, J10, 10, 9 or 8,8, and all of those except 88 (least likely hand by FAR) he is dominating. by slow playing you only let scare cards come (of course this guy by saying "you wouldn't draw on a paired board" seems like he expects everyone to be as tight as him) and it gives away your strength. this seems like the perfect situation to give off signs of slightly worse hand than his, imo.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:54 AM

Here's the reasoning: after the bet on the flop, the button has committed 115 out of 650 bucks to the pot. He's only got 535 behind, so if you know he'll bet the turn you can check-raise him moderately, pot-commit him and take the rest of the stack on the river. Knowing you can get him to put all his money in, you want to check-raise when the pot's already big and make sure he can't escape from this hand. If you check-raise the flop, he might check-behind on the turn or fold to a decent bet if you decide not to trap. Either way check-call, check-raise comes off as less scary to the average player than check-raise and then come out betting.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:14 PM

i disagree with this, only because he said he was pretty sure the raiser had a 10. if the raiser had a 10, he is not getting away from A 10 on the flop. i'd be shocked if he didn't reraise all in there. Either way, if he makes a significant enough check raise, he will basically be pot committed by then anyway. Also, then at least if/when the flush comes, villain cannot put hero on the club draw. The comment "you would not draw on a paired board" is definitely very weak/tight talking which was lucky for hero in this case, but with most players, a check call seems like a very possible draw. I think with A 10 there is no way he is getting away from this... and if villain has anything other than A 10 (which he probably wouldn't play with preflop), he isn't putting much more money in regardless. I think it's an easy check raise on the flop, or bet out, get raised, call. Then lead out the turn once he has much of his stack in. Both of those lines I like much better.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:10 PM

Its going to be very tough for him to get away from this regardless of how you play your 88. But, if you wait for scare cards to come or the turn to raise you make it easier on him to read you for a monster and fold. Anyone with a ten will call your all in on the flop, bottom line. They will read you for JJ-AA and think they got you dead to one or two outs. Furthermore, you are probably only going to make money if someone does have a ten, so come out swinging. Its really that simple.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:02 AM

Huh? You're the PF raiser, represent something - You have the nuts - are you scared of quads or 8/T - didn't think so - lead out.

No one will believe that you flopped the joint - Just keep firing. Some moron will think you have AK - Keep betting.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i disagree with this, only because he said he was pretty sure the raiser had a 10. if the raiser had a 10, he is not getting away from A 10 on the flop. i'd be shocked if he didn't reraise all in there. Either way, if he makes a significant enough check raise, he will basically be pot committed by then anyway. Also, then at least if/when the flush comes, villain cannot put hero on the club draw. The comment "you would not draw on a paired board" is definitely very weak/tight talking which was lucky for hero in this case, but with most players, a check call seems like a very possible draw. I think with A 10 there is no way he is getting away from this... and if villain has anything other than A 10 (which he probably wouldn't play with preflop), he isn't putting much more money in regardless. I think it's an easy check raise on the flop, or bet out, get raised, call. Then lead out the turn once he has much of his stack in. Both of those lines I like much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of games do you guys play in, where KT and QT are making it $35 out of the blinds?

If I'm the button, there is zero way I am putting opponent on a ten or an 8. I'm putting him on a big pair or two big cards, and a ten isn't a big card. I am going down with my hand to the end.

So.

Fire on the flop, hope to get raised. Once he calls, and (more importantly) once the flush hits on the turn, either check/raise him all-on on the turn, or massively overbet the pot enough to put him all-in.

Tell your friend that he shouldn't be playing ace-ten suited for a lot of money preflop, unless he's the one raising it.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:44 AM

Pologuy
Did this hand happen to be played in KY? It sounds like a hand that occured at the Tueday 2/4 nl game, at Mike Leek's. I ask because I see you are from Cincinnati.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:54 AM

This game was not played at mike leeks even tho i have played there many of times. This is a game in LoveLand, not sure if you know bout that game. PM me, i bet we have played together around before.