Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Could he Get Away from this Hand?

This was a hand played between me and a friends of mines at a 2-4NL cashgame.

I am in the big blind(500) and 6 people limp into the pot in front of me. I look down and see pocket 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I Then make it 35 to go and get 4 callers button(650) being one of the callers.
POT(155)
Flop comes:
10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BINGO! i quickly check, as does everyone to the button. he be 80. I call and everyone else fold.
Ont thing to know bout the button. He is the tightest player at the table. Everyone knows this and will fire a big bet at him wit any 2 cards. I know for sure, he has a 10 right now after the bet.
I just call
turn(315)
next card is a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. i quickly check.
This is were it get good. he bets 80 again. and i make it 280. He does not end up folding and i win the pot of course. But later on, i tried to explain to him that he should have layed the hand down.
Here is my reasoning. I understand the flop bet. but once i raise the turn. i think this should be a easy laydown. and once the 3 third [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] fell, i though that made it ever easier.

His reasoning: He explained that he couldnt put me on the club becasue he didnt feel i would draw out with the boared paired. He also said that he was willing to pay that last bet becasue there is a huge % i could be bluffing cause i know hes super tite.

By the way, he had a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Should he have had a hard time folding or is this a easy fold?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Could he Get Away from this Hand?

opps no 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the flop it was a 10 of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 05:18 PM

just another reasoning i had that this hand should have never happened. How do u call 35 dollars with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He said me and the 3 callers before him brought him in(big pot). Is this understandable?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:25 PM

The only hands he could put you on that he would beat are KT, JT or lower, but unless he is pretty sure you are bluffing he should fold. He knows that you know he has a 10 because he is so tight, and your raise on the turn clearly says you can beat a 10. It was a nice bet, though, because it is large enough to look like you are trying to buy the pot. He should have folded.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Well if I were him I would've played it differently.

I think on the turn this hand qualifies for the "way ahead or way behind" classification.

Either you made you're flush and now he's drawing to a boat (way behind) or you called with a PP or a weak Ten and he's way ahead.

At the risk of having a fourth club fall, I would've checked behind if I was him and called a reasonable bet on the river.

As he played it I think the laydown is read dependent. I don't think his read is that far off as most (decent) players won't chase the flush on a paired board. And you could easily have KT, QT, JT, T9 but he put himself in a tough spot by betting the turn.

It's very hard for him to put you on 88 since you raised to 35 out of the shoot with it (a questionable play in and of itself but it worked out real well for you this time).
Old 02-11-2005, 06:41 PM

He could have gotten away because you played it bad - next time, lead out on this flop and pray for the Ts out there to raise you or call you. Then depending on the player, what the turn card is, etc., reraise the flop all-in, lead the turn, or CR the turn - but get all the money in as soon as possible on an underfull like this multiway.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Your preflop raise is big enough that it looks loke AA or KK. If you had AA or KK with that flop , you would make usually bet the flop and pray nobody had a ten.

So in this case you should bet the flop and pray someone does have a ten. You'll get all in much quicker.

Im not sure why everyone wants to bet the flop with an unimproved AK when they raised preflop, but they want to check when they flop a monster?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:33 PM

If you'd have played it correctly and bet the flop he would've had no chance to get away from it. Glad you got paid off still.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:54 PM

agree. you have to be with an underfull (which SS goes into). There are some scary cards that can hit and some that can let your opponent get away from the hand, such as the club hitting.

He really shouldn't be worried about the boat. On the flop there is 1 and only 1 hand you could have that beats him, you happened to have it. You really could play the flop the same way with AA.

Of course i dislike his preflop call with ATs here, it only has flush value.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:50 PM

Why the PFR out of the BB?