Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: First hand post, don\'t spare me

[ QUOTE ]
If you are up against KQo and J9o then you are ahead, right? And you don't want your hand to be outdrawn by overcards to your 8's right?

Note, I didn't say he was ahead. Just saying that if he is ahead, he should protect his hand.

Or are you asking who's going to fold? Maybe nobody, but if you are ahead, you're giving them a chance to fold or make them pay the price if they want to stay. This is partly value, partly protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no protection unless there's a 3-bet (and then you're toast) because the players in between are trapped. A raise usually protects when it offers improper odds to anyone considering a call. If these players had the odds the first time around, they certain do to your raise.

A raise here only is for value (and maybe a free card).
Old 02-10-2005, 01:49 PM

Wait, you're telling me that if both players missed this flop that there's absolutely no chance that either player is going to fold when you raise this flop? If they don't have an Ace, they are shaking in their boots that you do.

The chances might be as low at 10-15%, but that's still protection. You're right that it may be more value than protection, but it's still protection.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:54 PM

if you get someone to incorrectly fold when they could profitably call, I suppose you could liken that to protection in that it increases your chance to win the pot. I usually liken it to payday baby. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

when I usually hear protection, I think "betting or raising to force a hand to either fold or call unprofitably". not really possible here, since if they had odds to call the first bet, they'll have odds to call the second bet.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, you're telling me that if both players missed this flop that there's absolutely no chance that either player is going to fold when you raise this flop? If they don't have an Ace, they are shaking in their boots that you do.

The chances might be as low at 10-15%, but that's still protection. You're right that it may be more value than protection, but it's still protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the chance at about 1%
Old 02-10-2005, 03:33 PM

Wow, you can estimate them that accurately? Amazing!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you can estimate them that accurately? Amazing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have it to several decimal points but practically it's the same [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]