Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Poker Academy $20 at Fry\'s

JoeB wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
how the AI so far on it? do they play smart?
have you try low limit yet? do they play smart on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't feel qualified to say whether they play smart, or tight, loose, aggressive, passive, or stoned. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The pre-configured tables each have a mixture of different 'bot types and I'm only playing the easiest table right now to get a feel for the program. Later I'll probably try to create a custom table with the more sophisticated bots whose strategy can be customized both preflop and postflop(Pokibot, Xenbot).

Bottom line, from a reasonably frugal ex-Yankee, is that for $20 this program is a must-have.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:39 PM

To clarify all the confusion (hopefully):

Fry's is selling 'Poker Academy' but it seems they have mistakenly called it 'Poki's Poker Academy' in their database. We'll ask them to correct that ASAP.

Yes, there is an upgrade path from the cheap Poker Academy to the Pro version, currently at $65, but that price is subject to change.

If anyone has questions about the products please email us at support@poker-academy.com, or visit our forums at http://www.poker-academy.com/forums/

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 02-14-2005, 11:43 AM

I've been using the upgraded version for a while now. First, the old Poki AI players were not what you'd find in a typical low stakes game. And it was hard to adjust them to play LP preflop and LAG there after.

Pkr Acad Pro is a little better but with the same problems with adjusting oppositional play. If you play higher stakes, I think could be valuable.

problem areas:

The programmed calling stations give up too often on the turn and river. A true CS isn't folding 88 come what may.

I can't seem to configure a real maniac (like the ones you'll run into at LL and micros)

If you play SNGs: forget about working on bubble strategy. They aren't fighting for ITM. Plus they're way to loose even the TAGs. Ok, maybe if you're playing 10+1, it might be useful for levels 1-3.

If you've had better success with adjusting oppositional play, please post which players you've used and their settings

Thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 03:26 AM

Hey sky, did you find it worth upgrading to Pro? Im curious to how the advanced heads up bots play...the ones included in the basic PA were push overs about 5-10 mins into the match.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:49 PM

the thing that's neat about the bots is they adapt to your play. so while you might think they're pushovers after 5 minutes, they should play very well against you after 20k hands.