Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Poker Academy $20 at Fry\'s

For U.S. folks, I just noticed in today's newspaper ad that Poker Academy is on sale at Fry's for $20 (no rebate needed). Some notes -

* outpost.com does NOT offer this special - just the bricks'n'mortar Fry's.

* The ad seems to depict the more expensive Poki's Poker Academy, but what's on sale is just the standard Poker Academy that sells for $40 online at http://wwww.poker-academy.com. I've heard that "Poki's Poker Academy" and "Poker Academy" are the same thing anyway since v.1.5 came out, and only "Poker Academy Pro" is a more expensive upgrade.

* It's version 1.5, but upon installation it auto-updates to 1.5.1 (build 72)

I've read mixed reviews here, but I picked it up today and think it's pretty good for the price. The tables are configurable for number of opponents, whether it's limit or no-limit, blind sizes, single-table tournament versus ring game, etc. Some of the 'bots are also configurable. Hand history and hand evaluator seem well done.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Poker Academy $20 at Fry\'s

will the patch that available to download for this game make it the pro version?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Nice catch!

Do you know if this is upgradable to the full Academy Pro?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
will the patch that available to download for this game make it the pro version?

[/ QUOTE ]

think about that question for a minute.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:54 PM

i did..

on Poker Academy download section on there web site says:

These programs will upgrade to Poker Academy Pro version 1.5.1. Choose the appropriate product and operating system from the choices below:

Poki's Poker Academy Poker Academy Poker Academy Pro

http://www.poki-poker.com/downloads/

just making sure before i go buy Poker Academy game at Fry's, if the patch 1.51 turns the game to pro version?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Looks like they changed the site but as of a few weeks ago the chepest one doesn't update to the top program. In other words Poker Academy didn't update to Poker Academy Pro but Poki's Poker Academy does.

The names are damn confusing but I would NOT buy the cheapest one without checking with support at that site.

They have a forum you can check out.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:21 AM

why would they even bother selling the $99 version if you could buy the cheaper one and use a simple patch to turn it into the pro version?

notice the diffrence in wording. a PATCH is available that fixes bugs in the packaged version. if you pay the diffrence between the two you can UPGRADE to the more expensive version. i really dont see what is so hard to figure out here.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:08 PM

Yes, it can be upgraded. In the program, Help-->Upgrade brings me to this (hidden) URL:

http://www.poker-academy.com/pro_upgrade.php

...showing a cost of $65 to upgrade. So the total price to me would be $20 initial + $65 upgrad = $85 for Pro, which sells for $129 on the main software/download page. I'm not willing to pay that much for the head's up 'bots Sparbot & Vexbot plus a few other minor features, though. Maybe another $10 or so, not $65.

Played with it more last night & like it a lot. I should add that although I'm a relative n00b to Hold'Em, I'm a fairly serious n00b. I play micro-stakes (0.10/0.25 NL) at UltimateBet, enjoy the live Fantasy Poker games here in Austin, TX (http://www.tfpl.net), play an occasional home game, have read Brunson SS & Miller SSHE fairly closely, Sklansky ToP less closely, and am fairly comfortable with probability & combinatorials. I'm not good, but I'm not completely clueless either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 01:24 PM

how the AI so far on it? do they play smart?

have you try low limit yet? do they play smart on it?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:28 PM

wow

they just change there web site

it use to say
These programs will upgrade to Poker Academy Pro version 1.5.1. Choose the appropriate product and operating system from the choices below:

Poki's Poker Academy, Poker Academy, Poker Academy Pro

Now it says
hese programs will upgrade to Version 1.5.1. Choose the appropriate product and operating system from the choices below:
Poki's Poker Academy, Poker Academy, Poker Academy Pro

Yesterday it said it will upgrade to the pro version 1.51, now they change it to say upgrade to 1.51