Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: \"I\'m going to put you all in\".

[ QUOTE ]
Hi El Diablo,

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps you should just be kneecapped

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your mask is on a little tight. We're among friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

cero,

I let him off with a kneecapping. Anything less and they will think I've gone soft. Can't let that happen.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:32 AM

I find it amazing that you never thought to think that this was angle shooting.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:07 AM

I usually say "I'll tap you all in" or "Bet what u got" or "All-in". I mighta said "I'll put you all in" one time.

If you were playing with me, it wouldn't be much of a tell. I say that, or something else all the time and has nothing to do with the quality of my hand.

However, I do like to open up an oreo an listen to it before I bluff. Don't tell anyone, k?

Seriously though, I don't think this is much of a tell for anyone, unless you have a good context for thinking it is. If the guy says it in a macho voice, and I notice that he's staring you down real hard, then I'd probably call with a decent hand if I'd seen him pull this schtick b4, and the pot was big enough relative to my stack.

When I play with people, I try to figure out what kinda bluffs they make. I like to ask:

Do they make continuation bets, and then freeze up on the turn?

Do they always raise from late position?

Do they bet big on their big hands or try to suck you in?

These kinds of things kinda help me to tell if its possible someone is bluffing or not, because I find that people bluff in very specific ways. Some people have a wide variety of bluffing abilities, like calling on the flop, and then raising on the turn no matter what comes off. Or there are people who almost never bluff but ALWAYS semi-bluff. So, when I notice the situations that people feel comfortable bluffing in, I then get to think about whether or not they are actually bluffing.

Strangely enough, there are some people who bet in proportion to the quality of their hand regardless of the pot size or their assessment of the strength of your hand. I love playing with these guys. Its like their cards are face-up. So, when they go "all-in" I go all out.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:20 PM

I just find it very presumptious, and I only seem to hear it from mediocre and inexperienced players. I find the good players know how much I have anyway and put slightly more then what they estimate.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 PM

Assuming play is heads-up, I always prefer to just say "all-in". Obviously, I'm really putting the other guy all-in if he has less chips left than I do. The "I'll put you all-in" seems crude to me; oh well, different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:19 PM

hi usagi,
if its heads up declaring that one is all in is probably best. as long as you play big bet poker you will hear this"I put you all in" or variations, it really is nothing personal and the more words uttered by a player the better for your gleaning info.
the key here is (and coming from a very slow player) to waste as little time as possible. you are right about the less experienced players using phrases like this more often, probably because experienced big bettors want to reveal as little as possible to their perceptive opponents(you).
i try to always have a good idea of how much everyone at the table has,( i can usually look at a stack and say within 5% or better) but definitely not an exact count in ring games. I gotta side with EL D while i definitely believe dcifr was not shooting an angle i think it was more pure ignorance of etiquette and rules. one kneecap would suffice. had he known how aggregious (sp?)his error kneecaps and fingernail removal would be more appropriate i think(its a peeve of mine also obviously).
however your opponent chooses to announce his intentions if his/her behavior is bothering you enough to put finger to keyboard its time to switch tables or if not possible take a short break and refocus on the task at hand (winning money), while not putting a bullseye on said opponent either. recently in vegas i left two pretty good nl games for fear of emotional disturbance after the floor had to be called to rule (in my favor, thankfully). emotional control and the ability to read others grasp of their own emotions will take you a long way in this game. just my thoughts,
VI,
jason
Old 02-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Excellent post... and its "egregious"