Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Unknown LRRs. He has...
AA, KK 14 33.33%
Two cards 24 57.14%
Other... see my post for details. 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Big Pot, Low VPIP

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. No offense to the original poster, but having a large pot average and the whole table in the hand would be an insanely profitable game for a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, i think a good player will make about as much as a great player in these type of games. i will admit that i am not good enough to beat a rock-fest yet, but i can destroy tables like these.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Preferred Pot Size/Number of Players on Flop (Poll)

OK, I see that most people prefer to see the biggest pots and most opponents possible.

I know that all profits come from other players, but I am thinking that there may be point where a game may become unprofitable.

For example, I was in two hands in the past week where the average pot size was about 10bb, and the pots in question were a bit over 20bb each. I had aces both times - in the first pot a "fish" limped in UG with 36s he called my reraise and ended up hitting a river flush. The second hand a guy called 3 bets cold with T3s. Well, flop come TT6 and you know the rest.

When you have people playing any king or any two suited cards, and calling raises with any ace, the game just becomes random. If there are enough players on the flop you can be a dog even if you have the best hand at the time (Sklansky's Poker Paradox). And good players aren't in enough hands to overcome their beats because they don't play those kind of cards. I'm not saying the bad players make any money either - the rake eventually eats it all up.

Personally, I prefer to play in games where players play slightly incorrectly. Which means that the pots are not quite as big but there are not as many people to draw out on you, either - and it is actually possible to read hands.

Which leads me to my next poll.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I see that most people prefer to see the biggest pots and most opponents possible.

I know that all profits come from other players, but I am thinking that there may be point where a game may become unprofitable.

For example, I was in two hands in the past week where the average pot size was about 10bb, and the pots in question were a bit over 20bb each. I had aces both times - in the first pot a "fish" limped in UG with 36s he called my reraise and ended up hitting a river flush. The second hand a guy called 3 bets cold with T3s. Well, flop come TT6 and you know the rest.

When you have people playing any king or any two suited cards, and calling raises with any ace, the game just becomes random. If there are enough players on the flop you can be a dog even if you have the best hand at the time (Sklansky's Poker Paradox). And good players aren't in enough hands to overcome their beats because they don't play those kind of cards. I'm not saying the bad players make any money either - the rake eventually eats it all up.

Personally, I prefer to play in games where players play slightly incorrectly. Which means that the pots are not quite as big but there are not as many people to draw out on you, either - and it is actually possible to read hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a lot of misconceptions about gambling, poker and statistics.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a hot or not poll? I really hope its a hot or not poll.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:11 PM

You assume having 8ppl in the hand means they pay you off till the river. Having 8 ppl see the flop and then having most of them fold is much worse then having 2 or 3 opponets see the flop and then pay you off till the river with nothing resembling a hand. Wouldn't you rather make just as much money on each pot while playing against fewer draws. Calling with 23o is a mistake preflop, but calling with 23o when the flop is 3, J, K is a much bigger mistake. I'd rather have 2 or 3 fish that pay all the way to the river with nothing or next to nothing then 8 fish pay to see the flop and then fold if they don't hit.

Assumption:
Average Pot Size is the Same
THeory:
Less players per flop is better if they pay off till the river.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the advice - at least someone else sees what I am saying.

The fact that big pots exist doesn't mean much if you never win them, which can happen if you have a bunch of people drawing at you, or you have some really aggressive opponents, and that is often not ideal either, because they can push you out of some pots preflop that you would have won.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:32 PM

I am not sure that that would cover the extra bets lost when someone catches or if you are betting or raising all the way with the worst hand the other 75% of the time, though.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:39 PM

the results to some of the polls on the forums recently is pretty frightening...
Old 02-06-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the results to some of the polls on the forums recently is pretty frightening...

[/ QUOTE ]

Frightening meaning people are stupid? If so, that makes me happy...
Old 02-06-2005, 06:25 PM

i was just pointing out that of the several polls in the last week or so, in which there is a clearly correct answer, so many people just get it so wrong.