Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Hand reading exercise

My first guesses, I had you with medium PP 77 or 88. After reading others, I guess A5s or A6s would be possible. I think that SB was putting you on a steal attempt on the flop and turn and decided to resteal with the c/r on the turn. Or maybe you guys are playing at a level one above me, and SB did have a big PP, and decided to check the river, giving the impression that he was trying to resteal on the turn and decided to check the river to give you false hope and pop you with another c/r. Sorry, I'm blabbing now.

To summarize, you have mid PP. SB has overcards.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two limpers to me and I limp in MP2. Folded around to the SB who raises. The BB folds, but both limpers and I call. Four to the flop for approximately 8 SB.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, limpers check, I bet, SB calls, limpers fold. Heads up to the turn for approximately 5 BB:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

SB checks, I bet. SB now check-raises, and I call.

River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Check, check.

What do I have? Post your thought process; it'll be more useful if you do.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I am giving this a shot without reading the other replies.

My first thought was 87s. You would have limped (barely) with 87s but not 87o. Would you have raised for value on the turn when you flopped your OESD? Probably, as a 2.8:1 dog to hit. The problem is your turn and river play -- 87 would have been the nuts, and you didn't reraise or bet the river. So 87s can't be right.

Any other straight possibility is not limp-able PF, except perhaps AXs, which would have only given you a gutshot straight draw and an overcard, thus eliminating the flop play and the check on the river if your straight came in. Even A4s isn't possible as I think you would have had to raise that hand when checked to you on the river, despite your opp's c/r on the turn.

I think you have a medium/small pair. My guess is 44. You bet your OESD along with 9 additional (discounted) outs to 2 pair. When c/r on the turn, you still have the odds to call. But when you hit your straight you fear a c/r again, so you just called and dragged the pot?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But when you hit your straight you fear a c/r again, so you just called and dragged the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see you working through this. Two comments on the above. One, he didn't bet on the river, and neither did I. Second, what hand would I really fear if I had a straight? Sure, the nuts are the straight to the 9 with 87, but do you think I'd worry too much about that hand given the totality of his actions throughout the hand?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

First, my brain cramped and I meant to say you checked behind, not called on the river.

Second, well, you're right about that. You got me. I guess you "could" fear 74, which would mean your opp was a terrible, terrible player.

I really think these exercises are the best way to learn, because they really force you to think about the game. Something I still need to do a lot more of.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think these exercises are the best way to learn, because they really force you to think about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I posted it.

-McGee
Old 02-03-2005, 02:43 PM

I put you on 76s or 75s. It's probably good enough to limp with at a loose table with two limpers, and it perfectly fits your action. You might have folded A6 after the turn checkraise, but with the 7 for a doublegutted straight draw, you are surely forced to call the check raise. You didn't bet the river for value because you thought SB might have an overpair and was worried about you having a straight, so he decided to check/call the river.

77 is also certainly possible, as is 88. But I don't know why you wouldn't fold 88 to the turn checkraise, having only 6 outs to improve.

The SB's action puzzles me but I'd have to put him on A9s.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 PM

I think the hands you just call preflop with here are the medium pairs (55-88) and medium suited connectors (67-89), plus Ax suited.

The flop hit you, or you have an overpair maybe a set, so you bet.

The turn: Possible the 9 hit your opponent. I don't think he has a larger pair, since he most probably raises you on the flop. Anyhow, since, you don't reraise here, you don't have the set or two pair, but you probably pick up an inside straight draw.

My guesses:
1. 67 suited
2. A6/5 suited
3. 77

Fishlips
Old 02-03-2005, 02:58 PM

77/88 makes the most sense.
villian has a scared overpair.. say QQ/JJ.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Not being familiar with 3/6, I'm not sure what the level of play is like. I'm going to assume it's better than .50/1, but not wpt quality.

Preflop:

You didn't raise so it's not big stuff (9's+ or KQo+)

Flop:

Hard to narrow it down here, since you could bet with a lot of hands here for different reasons.

Overcards - (A10, KJ, QJ, etc)

An overpair - (7's, 8's, 9's)

A set (3's, 5's, 6's)

AXs (A7-A9)

44 for the oesd/2nd pair hoping to win/get hu with a bet.

Turn:

The turn bet still doesn't convince me that you have a real hand because you could be semibluffing. When you call the checkraise, however, it narrows down your range of hands quite a bit.

Overcard hands are out. There's too many ways you're drawing dead/very thin after the c/r.

An overpair is still likely (77/88 - but 99 much less likely now) you have a gutshot to what is probably the best hand (unless sb has 78), and it's possible that sb missed an overcard draw (or has something like Ax with a paired kicker) and is trying to raise you out of the pot when you hold a weak draw.

If you had a set, I think you would reraise. Although, it's possible that you think a set isn't worth reraising with the scary board (3 poss straights beat you and maybe another set). So a set isn't entirely ruled out, but it is less likely, imo.

A8 I think you could bet, but definitely fold to the c/r, so that's out. A9 wouldn't cap and wouldn't fold I think. A7 has decent-good odds to improve with, since SB doesn't have to have a monster to c/r heads up.

44, I'm not sure about. If you have that, you're in a bad spot. It's likely not the best now, and there's a small chance that improving to a straight won't win it. I'm gonna say there's still a very small chance that you hold it.

River:

A set is out, you def. bet when checked to with one.

44 is out since you would have made a straight with it and didn't bet when checked to.

I'm not sure what to do w/ A9 here, but that's one of the more unlikely of the hands still in this. I can't totally rule it out though.

That leaves 3 hands, 77/88/A7. All those seem very possible given the action. A7 is the most unlikely of those 3, so I'm going to put you on 77 or 88.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that I botched the analysis completely, but meh, live and learn.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM

77,88,A6s,A5s
Old 02-03-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
77 maybe

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I scrolled down to look at 1 reponse, and my guess was already taken.