Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Hand reading exercise

Hey gang

"Guess the hand" posts are fun, but only useful if there's a reasonable way to narrow it down to one or two hands. I played this one last night that I thought would be a good one to post.

Typical $3/$6 Party game. I know that $3/$6 isn't micro, but I thought more people would get something useful out of this over here.

Two limpers to me and I limp in MP2. Folded around to the SB who raises. The BB folds, but both limpers and I call. Four to the flop for approximately 8 SB.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, limpers check, I bet, SB calls, limpers fold. Heads up to the turn for approximately 5 BB:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

SB checks, I bet. SB now check-raises, and I call.

River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Check, check.

What do I have? Post your thought process; it'll be more useful if you do.

-McGee
Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Hand reading exercise

77 maybe
Old 02-03-2005, 11:48 AM

I think you have pocket 7s. There is really no draw to semi bluff with. You probably would have raised a couple of big cards yourself. With 7s it would be an easy call with the ckeck raise on the turn since you still have some outs if you put SB on slowplaying big pockets.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:00 PM

I'd say a middle pocket pair 77-88, or something like A6 of Hearts or Diamonds.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 PM

I'd put you on overcards or maybe A6s/A5s.

You have position on everyone, hence your flop bet. Maybe the flop even hit you?

I'm putting the SB a big pocket pair or maybe A9s. The check raise on the turn would indicate the 9 helped the SB - what could you raise with preflop that a nine would help? 99, A9s? I can't imagine checkraising the turn like that with just overcards.

The river confuses me completely. It seems that one of you has the other beat and should know it.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:16 PM

I like you for A5/A6s.

-d
Old 02-03-2005, 12:53 PM

77 or 88?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Typical $3/$6 Party game. I know that $3/$6 isn't micro, but I thought more people would get something useful out of this over here.

Two limpers to me and I limp in MP2. Folded around to the SB who raises. The BB folds, but both limpers and I call. Four to the flop for approximately 8 SB.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, limpers check, I bet, SB calls, limpers fold. Heads up to the turn for approximately 5 BB:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

SB checks, I bet. SB now check-raises, and I call.

River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Check, check.

What do I have? Post your thought process; it'll be more useful if you do.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I am giving this a shot without reading the other replies.

My first thought was 87s. You would have limped (barely) with 87s but not 87o. Would you have raised for value on the turn when you flopped your OESD? Probably, as a 2.8:1 dog to hit. The problem is your turn and river play -- 87 would have been the nuts, and you didn't reraise or bet the river. So 87s can't be right.

Any other straight possibility is not limp-able PF, except perhaps AXs, which would have only given you a gutshot straight draw and an overcard, thus eliminating the flop play and the check on the river if your straight came in. Even A4s isn't possible as I think you would have had to raise that hand when checked to you on the river, despite your opp's c/r on the turn.

I think you have a medium/small pair. My guess is 44. You bet your OESD along with 9 additional (discounted) outs to 2 pair. When c/r on the turn, you still have the odds to call. But when you hit your straight you fear a c/r again, so you just called and dragged the pot?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:24 PM

A6s or 77-88
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But when you hit your straight you fear a c/r again, so you just called and dragged the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see you working through this. Two comments on the above. One, he didn't bet on the river, and neither did I. Second, what hand would I really fear if I had a straight? Sure, the nuts are the straight to the 9 with 87, but do you think I'd worry too much about that hand given the totality of his actions throughout the hand?

-McGee