Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Pocket 10s in BB, 1st level of 10+1 Party

[ QUOTE ]
So first level of a 10+1 SNG ... how do you play TT?? My general line with a hand like this is that this early you'll be called by Ax, Kx that make it really susceptible to overcards and therefore try to play it for set value...but I am not confident that this is the best approach. Comments? I think a raise is in order PF, but even then on this board what is the move. Fourth hand in so no real reads...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

SB (t400)
Hero (t1100)
UTG (t610)
UTG+1 (t1035)
UTG+2 (t845)
MP1 (t790)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t935)
CO (t735)
Button (t775)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t15, Button calls t15, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t87.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t50</font>, SB folds, Hero ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, all the responses seem to be missing the fact that cards are maybe 1/3 of the equation in SNG decision making. You probably have the best hand, yes. Your position is terrible and your stack is not big enough to give much leverage. One out of three IS bad.

To put it another way: how likely is it that you will win a big pot without a set in this spot? How likely is it that you will lose a big pot without a set? I rest my case.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Pocket 10s in BB, 1st level of 10+1 Party

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2) Play position. Buy buttons. Etc. The better your position, the more aggressive you can become.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being in the BB is about the worst position you can have after the flop, no?

[ QUOTE ]
3) Punish the limpers. Way too much limping in the early rounds. 4-5 players to the flop. Take advantage of this weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all fine and dandy but the only limpers that are going to stay with you are overcards that can out-flop/draw TT.

Now I don't always play TT like this. Last night I was in a 10 SNG and got dealt TT in the CO level 3 with blinds 25/50. There were 3 limpers ahead of me I raised to 150, of course got two callers (which just goes to show how ineffective this "thinning" thought is at these low levels) and the flop came all rags so I bet out after it being checked around and took it down.

I think that specifically in this instance: from the BB, out of position, in early levels, with 5 limpers, agressive play with this hand is just not a formula for success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yours is different case. There is 225 (which is probably about 1/3 of your stack) in the pot and you have position. I would expect to get at least one caller with your bet (it is less than the pot).