Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Who folds AK here

[ QUOTE ]
not many if any at all, to me calling the 3-bet and leading out on any non-jack,non-ace,non-king turncard would seem my most likable line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh..is it coincidence are did you just name all of my likely outs. You're one hell of a handreader! ;-)

Seriously though, what would you do if an 8 or Q came of and you don't have the J? Let me just say, ofcourse depending on your holding, any A,K,Q,J,8 can be scare cards for you, leading you to frequently check. These are a lot of cards and can not be neglected. Also, these scare cards might be ideal for your UTG opponent to raise-the-turn-check-the-river with this mediocre to bad holdings, causing you to fold your mediocre holdings. What I'm trying to say is that due to the amount of scare cards, you will be checking (or risking to be outplayed if you lead with your weaker holdings) a fair amount of the times. Also, IF UTG actually held a strong hand he will win 1 BB more than if you would have check-called. And, not unimportant, IMO AK and the like only represent the hands on the weaker spectrum of the hands your opponent can hold after the flop action.

So, let me put us back in UTG shoes. He knows that after his flop 3-bet the BB should consider that he (UTG) likely has a very good hand, but could also have AK (maybe AJ). Even if the BB puts UTG on AK, there will be a lot of scare cards. So, considering this, BB must have a good to strong hand AND no scare card must hit for him to bet the turn. This parlay is IMO fairly unlikely considering the holdings BB (solid player) could check-raise the flop with and the amount of scare cards that can come off. So I would say that you WILL get a free card frequently if you opt to.

This is getting kinda long, but you could say that you would lead out with weaker holdings like AT. But consider that you often have a fair amount of outs if a scare card hits on the turn (for instance you have AT and board 9TQK, you might not want to give up), so leading the turn could potentially have quite a negative effect.

Regards
Old 01-30-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Who folds AK here

Free card would be most likely.

Regards