Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Who folds AK here

Got 5 minutes left here in the library, so i gotta make this a quick post. It somewhat subjects in my new approach regarding overcards and handreading. Like or no Like?

Dude in the BB is a solid player. Bit ABC, but compared to most of the morons at the table he pretty much stands out. UTG is laggy but irrelevant.

I get AKo in UTG +1 (sixhanded by the way) and raise after an openlimp in UTG. It gets folded to the bigblind who calls here.

Flop comes 9,10,Q rainbow

Checked to me, I bet, BB raises, UTG folds

Turn 8

UTG bets, I fold

Thanks,

ps. And if anyone think this is standard. Well it wasn't for me...
ps2 Limitholdemshark, please don't bother responding. I don't like you messing up my posts again with lots of puha, and very little to actually add to the subject in an intelligent matter.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Who folds AK here

Seems like a super-obvious fold to me. Only four outs to the nuts, and it might be to a split. Your other six outs might be garbage.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:34 AM

I think you have to cap the flop. If you get bet into on the turn after capping it's an easy fold.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:19 PM

3-bet the flop. I'm surprised you didn't even seem to consider that option (since you make no notion of it in your post).

Regards
Old 01-29-2005, 12:20 PM

capping the flop might be a good move and if you get reraised on the turn fold. or just call do what you did previously and fold when he bets out on the turn.

-sinful
Old 01-29-2005, 01:00 PM

Opponents PF call from the BB could be a lot of things. He CR the flop (into the PF raisor, so he is expecting a bet) you have to think he has something. Is he playing for a free card? unlikely and Turn confirms this, although 78 is a possibility (which you should call, if so). The CR could be a good hand or it could well likely be a weak Q, T or 9 trying to push out UTG.

Three cards on the flop that BB is quite likely to have, he does not put you on KJ or any lower straight combo, and when you just call the flop he can discount AQ, QQ, KK, AA, TT, 99 as well. This could easily be QJ or similar pair-plus-draw hand, or 2-pair.

If opponent has just a pair or a pair-plus draw you should call, with 10 outs, esp. as your draw outs are to the nuts. He probably does not have an A with paired kicker, although K9, KT, KJ, KQ are very real possibilities. The Turn 8 has ether made his draw (straight) or made no difference, either way you are behind. Any J beats you after the Turn, and 2-pair is possible, both of which leave you with 4 outs and an easy fold. It could also be 2nd or 3rd-pair but the Turn 8 makes a few of those 2-pair.

Hands like 78, PP and pair-no-draw hands you must call here, but there are just as many hands you are in trouble against (paired K, any J, QT/98). You have 4 clean outs (unless against AK, rare) and 6 pair outs which we need to probably discount to 3. 7 outs, pot is offering 5:1, it's close and depends on how much you discount your pair outs and how you read BB's CR (strong or weak?). I think you are behind, but folding is not obvious. If you think opponent is likely to CR a River card like an A or K with 2-pair or better, I would be more tempted to fold this as your value-bet gets punished when you are behind. You really do not want to check behind if an A or K falls, and folding to a CR would be sickening.

I think this is a question of how often you can value bet if one of your overcards falls on the River and not risk getting CR. You say opponent is solid, is he tricky at all? Has he shown any capacity to read opponents hands? (i.e. is he putting you on AK here? or working out you do not have an overpair? or playing his own hand regardless?). On the flop you have 6 outs to improve to a showdownable hand plus 4 to the nuts, but are probably behind now. Badly behind and a 3-bet looks wasteful and clearly only works is opponent has one of the weaker hands, which you would have odds to call with anyway. 3-betting looks auto on the flop, but if you thought was to see the Turn cheap and fold unimproved/call a showdownable hand/the nuts then just calling seems fair.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:43 AM

Tableclimate has shown to be so aggressive when it comes to try and force freecards or push overs, people are raising/protecting very light, and on a drawheavy board capping toppair, weakkicker don't even seem to be that bad against most players. Or he wouldve called the 3-bet, and led out the turn. Im sure of this. Its just a waste.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im sure of this. Its just a waste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there is not much to discuss.

So, what hands would you cap being the BB against the preflop EP raiser who just 3-bet a 9TQ flop?

Regards
Old 01-30-2005, 09:45 AM

not many if any at all, to me calling the 3-bet and leading out on any non-jack,non-ace,non-king turncard would seem my most likable line. Its where i can drop some of my weaker holdings(eg. A10) to a raise, reraise my best ones(top straights and sets), and feel pretty comfy about calling down my good ones(twopairs). Player dependent of course, but i would hate checking the turn with almost any hand.

But as usual you're probably going somewhere with this that totally destroys my entire thoughtprocess of the hand, so c'mon dude, spit it out .. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2005, 10:13 AM

Do you bet or take the free card most of the time when 3betting the flop here ?