Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Dimaggio

Dimaggio's streak will be broken, especially if MLB continues to have a team in Colorado. The toughest part about breaking it is that Dimaggio had lots of help from generous scorekeepers to keep his record alive, whereas that could never happen today because of media scrutiny.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: What sports records will stand the longest?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2 Consecutive no-hitters thrown by Johnny VanderMeer in 1938 might be tied but not broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but do you really consider that like a "real" record? It isn't exactly gonna make the almanac or anything.

Its like Tatis (?) and his 2 grand slams in 1 inning.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two no hitters in a row is in most record books and almanacs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is really odd, it must be like

Most Consecutive No Hitters
1. James VanderMeer
2. Tie (958)
(most recent)
Old 01-29-2005, 03:47 PM

you are, of course correct. But once that streak ends, the record will never fall.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:01 PM

That it! I can't take it anymore!! I am sick of all the Johnny Vander Meer bashing I see on this forum. Johnny was a fine man and a fine ballplayer. I guess it make you guys feel real good about yourself tearing down a man whose only crime was the courage to stand up for the long oppressed people of Holland. Only when you lived...and loved...like John Samuel "The Dutch Master" Vander Meer are you even worthy to comment on his greatness. And for those of you who respond with the typical "finger in the dike" comments, I say grow up!

Actually, it is kind of a cheesy record, and I agree its probably just a "feat", despite the fact that he wore wooden cleats and all.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:14 PM

I don't care how cyclical the game of baseball is, there are some post 1900 records that will never even have the chance to fall.

Cy Young's records for wins (511) and losses (316) are absolutely unbreakable. It is very rare for a starting pitcher to even START 511 games in their career nowadays, much less win that many.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:19 PM

you obviously cant read. i was talking about the stolen base record, next time take the time to understand whats going on before you pop off
Old 01-29-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to baseball, some records come to mind. The single season and career records of wins, innings, and ERA will likely never be beaten. Single season strikeouts, as well.

Dimaggio's 56-game hit streak will likely never be beaten, not just because Joe was an amazing hitter, but because it's such a fluke to get your hits to fall in that manner. It's an amazing statistical anomaly.

The batting average records will be broken, though it might be a while. The game will have to swing the way of the golden age (between the wars) again, but .438 isn't unbeatable or anything. A fluke will come along and take it. The triples record might fall, etc. It only takes a changing of conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

.438 is unbeatable, simple as that. You make many lucid arguments. THis is not one of them. No one has been within 48 points of this record in 60 years.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one has ever had the US Open Trophy, the Claret Jug, the Wanamaker trophy, and a Green Jacket all at the same time, and no one ever will again. (Even Tiger)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, someone will.

Hogan couldn't win all 4 in his banner year, because the PGA was held the same time as the British.

You even gave the parameter of 4 consecutive, not even the heralded "Grand Slam".

You mean to tell me nobody will win all 4 majors in the next 100 years? I highly doubt that. We've managed to have Hogan, Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson, Trevino, Faldo, Norman, Tiger and company in the last 50 years. It's foolish to say nobody of a just as great (or greater) caliber could pull the grand slam off in the next 100-200 years.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:26 PM

Wade Boggs has hit over .400 in one 162-game-stretch, as did Tony Gwynn, I believe. 162 games is a short time. Current conditions (power pitching, strikeout happy hitters) make it unlikely, but it will happen eventually.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
162 games is a short time.

[/ QUOTE ]
you play 162 games and tell me if its a short time...i play 104 currently and thats a [censored]' grind