Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What sports records will stand the longest? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=185903)

Dr. Strangelove 01-28-2005 08:07 PM

What sports records will stand the longest?

What sports records will stand the longest? I'm most interested in records that aren't due to structure changes in games. So it basically comes down to What have been the most incredible performances in sport. I like track and field because the events stay pretty much the same, with structure changes leading to broken records, generally, rather than unbreakable records. The javelin is a notable exception.

In track and field I think there are a couple in the running, Mike Powell's long jump of (records and names off the top of my head so if they are wrong or not up to date , that's why) 29' 4.5"
. I believe only two people have ever jumped more than 29 feet, bob beamon in '68 and Mike Powell in I believe the early 90's, this one could stand awhile.

Javier Sontamayor's 8' .5" high jump. Only man over 8 feet, this has stood about a decade I believe. This could stand a long time.

Michael Johnson's 200m record of 19.32 seconds. This is my pick to be the longest standing track record ever. In 1968 I believe the record was 19.72 seconds. The fastest any man other than Michael Johnson has completed the 200m was frank fredricks against MJ in the 1996 olympic final in a time of 19.68. The fastest MJ ever ran besides the ridiculous 19.32 was 19.66 I believe. No one has ever finished with a 19.5x or 19.4x. This record was broken so hard it's difficult to really overstate it. It's similar to Secretariat's Belmont(?).

Another good one was Heidenreich's(?) 5 gold medals in all the ice skate (or whatever this is called)racing events.

What are some others?

Asufiji2004 01-28-2005 08:08 PM

Re: What sports records will stand the longest?

DiMaggio's 56 game hit-streak..Never will that one be touched.

jstnrgrs 01-28-2005 08:18 PM

I believe the record for triples in a season has stood for a while.

ThaSaltCracka 01-28-2005 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the record for triples in a season has stood for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]well, something like that is not likely ever to be broken just because the syle of ball has changed so much. Dimaggio's is the only one that I can honestly say will never be broken(however its possible because todays style of baseball makes something like that possible).

jstnrgrs 01-28-2005 08:40 PM

I got one. Most games by a franchise without running a kickoff back for a touchdown.

Ipodkid 01-28-2005 08:45 PM

Cal Ripken consecutive game feat is damn near impossible today when a Sammy Sosa goes on DL for sneezing hard.

KING

Six_of_One 01-28-2005 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe only two people have ever jumped more than 29 feet, bob beamon in '68 and Mike Powell in I believe the early 90's, this one could stand awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carl Lewis also jumped over 29 feet, and in fact surpassed Beamon's mark, during the same meet at which Powell set the record, IIRC.

rickthekeg 01-28-2005 08:56 PM

While DiMaggio's and Ripken's records will be very tough to break, I think it's possible. I don't think it's even possible for someone in the NBA to break Wilt Chamberlain's record of 100 points in a game.

kemystery 01-28-2005 08:59 PM

Tiger Woods winning the US Open, British Open, PGA Championship, and Masters consecutively

'and it's not even close'

Alobar 01-28-2005 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While DiMaggio's and Ripken's records will be very tough to break, I think it's possible. I don't think it's even possible for someone in the NBA to break Wilt Chamberlain's record of 100 points in a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is prolly true. Altho I VERY VERY VERY much doubt anyone will break ripkens record, players today are a bunch of pussies. But it could happen. Dimaggios record eventualyl will get broken if baseball goes on long enough.