Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: I\'m getting sick of Party fast...

Out of 20 hands, he VP$IP 15%, W$WSF 50% WSD 50%, W$SD 50%
Not too much I can do with those stats.. I would put him on KQ or AQ.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:34 PM

I've posted a few hands the other day where I got sucked out a lot on Party. I've lost 6 buy-ins in about 500 hands.. I'm almost about to move back to PokerRoom. I don't know what it is, but I just can't win money here at Party.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:57 PM

No big deal. I didn't mean to sound insulting or anything. I just wanted to point out that the misunderstanding by the previous poster wasn't completely uncalled for.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:03 PM

I am sure you can win. You and I both know that bad runs of cards can last far longer than 500 hands, and that you need to look much more long term than that. How is your BB/100 over the last 5K hands on Party. If that is bad, then perhaps you need to adjust your game, but if that is up, then it is just a blip on the radar. Study your stats for leaks, make adjustments, and keep playing solid poker. you will do fine. Take care and best wishes.

- ToT
Old 01-26-2005, 05:09 PM

You got outplayed. One of the problems with all the bad players, is that good players take your stack if you don't watch it.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:35 PM

Since he seems fairly tight and he played back at you, I would estimate he has either:
-AA = 3 combinations (since you hold an Ace);
-KK = 6 combinations;
-QQ = 1 combination (2 Qs already accounted for);
-TT = 3 combinations;
-77 = 3 combinations;
-AQ = 6 combinations (since 1 Ace and 2 Qs are accounted for); or
-KQ = 8 combinations (since 2 Qs are accounted for).

Thus, you are behind and drawing dead 3.3% (1/30) of the time; behind and drawing to 2 outs 30% (9/30) of the time; behind and drawing to 5 outs 20% (6/30) of the time; tied 20% of the time; and ahead with your opponent drawing to 3 outs 26.7% (8/30) of the time. From here you can figure out the EV of your push. Note the analysis gets more complex when you consider backdoor draws (if your opponent holds the Ac or Kc for example).

Also, don't know if you only have 20 hands because your opponent or you just sat down. But if it because you just sat down, I would recommend watching tables for 30-45 min. before you sit to build some stats.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:47 PM

Why are you sick of Party? You got outplayed, and auto-shoved your stack in like a donkey on a TPTK hand, without ever thinking you had been smooth called preflop with a monster, or that the opponent had hit a set. Your post made no mention of reads, and frankly, you deserved to go bust.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:57 PM

lol... ok ok. I get the picture everyone. I played this piss-poorly and I did deserve to lose my stack. I went over the hand again and again during one of my classes and kept asking myself, what would I call a $2 raise PF with and then raise over the top with on a flop of Q-T-7. AA, KK, TT were my only answers.

I'm still what everyone here would probably call a beginning player. I've played at Pokerroom for about a month and a half with about 120 table hours. So with an estimated 50 hands/hr, I've only got about 6k hands under my belt. This is a very small sample size I know, so I really don't even know if I was just on a 6k winning streak yet.

I just got PT and started using it at Party and I've only had it for 415 hands, so I'm still learning how to use it to my full advantage.

I think my expectations were too high on the ease it would be to win at Party. I've seen more PF folding and post-flop folding here than I ever did at Pokerroom. Who knows. Hopefully I'm not just on a 6k winning streak and I am a winning player (or can be at least).

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Stick with it. My first month at party was a goldmine. I went to another site for a bonus. When I came back to Party to get a $100 bonus I ended up dropping $300 in the process. Bad streaks happen and they are devastating if you are just starting out (trust me I know) but once you keep playing solid and build your BR enough the bad streaks won't seem quite as bad. Try adjusting the time of day you play too (if possible). I found that I was making the most money around lunchtime and then losing some of it back after work.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:21 PM

A classy reply to a not so classy attack.

By the way, I am pretty sure you did NOT play this wrong. I just crunched the numbers and your push has a positive EV of $1.72 based the analysis in my previous post. Given that you raised on the Button, all of the assumed hands are reasonable since he could have put you on a steal. Pushing is better than calling because all the chips are going to go in anyway and you may have a tiny bit of fold equity.