Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Never Put Poker on Your Resume.

Ever. Ever. Ever.

Gambling is frowned up. Jesus.

Common Sense?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: using poker to your advantage on your resume

I had a friend interview for a trading assistant job at a large investment bank about 10 years ago. The job was as a trading assistant for equity index options. His resume was very quantitative and he paid for college by playing poker, and mentioned it at the interview. The interviewer said something to the effect of "That's great that you're not just an algebra guy and actually have some numerical intution."
Old 01-20-2005, 12:22 PM

1 in 12394769437693476934769467967
Old 01-20-2005, 12:48 PM

Also, I neglected to mention that if I was interviewing someone who mentioned poker I would think nothing negative about it. Unless they started saying really dumb things like Aces never win, you can't beat bad players etc. etc.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:24 PM

I know you are smarter then this. It is never a good idea to mention this on an interview.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:31 PM

I'm not saying I would, but I refrain for different reasons. At 99% of quant jobs on the Street mentioning poker is not a problem as long as you can talk mathematically about it. But I wouldn't dismiss someone who did. They would have to say other donkish things.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:10 PM

I also feel like this type of job is one of the few where mentioning poker may be ok, but for the vast majority of other jobs it wouldn't be a good idea.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a friend interview for a trading assistant job at a large investment bank about 10 years ago. The job was as a trading assistant for equity index options. His resume was very quantitative and he paid for college by playing poker, and mentioned it at the interview. The interviewer said something to the effect of "That's great that you're not just an algebra guy and actually have some numerical intution."

[/ QUOTE ]

A quant analysis financial position could be an exception. I still wouldn't put it on a resume as a qualification. I doubt it is +EV on a resume, but it may be +EV in an interview - still very read dependent. I know a lot of actuaries, some who play poker - I'll have to ask them what they would think in their field.

Actually upon further thought, I don't think it is ever +EV. I highly doubt mentioning poker even in those circumstances makes you any more likely to get the job, it could only hurt you.

Think of it this way: If they already want you, mentioning poker can't help because you've already "won" the hand - it could only possibly hurt you (they had an ex-employee who was a degenerate poker player that was always late for work, they look down on it, etc).

If they don't want you, I think it would be highly unlikely mentioning poker is going to help your situation.

If they are right on the fence decision wise, again I find it unlikely it puts you over the edge ("Oh wow we need this guy even though we were on the fence because he claims to be a winning poker player" isn't going to happen) - and the chance that you are already in the first category (they want you) and poker would hurt your cause is too high to risk it.

Poker on a resume or in an interview is highly -EV.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Never Put Poker on Your Resume.

This is just not true. In fact, there are some trading firms on Wall Street now that are actually making their traders take a certain number of hours of poker trining. In select fields, if you can prove your very good at it, poker can help you.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Never Put Poker on Your Resume.

What trading firm is making people take poker classes?

I work on Wall St. and work very closely with Quants. You're still getting hired by Human Resources who still would frown upon "gambling" on your resume.

If you want to mention it fine, but the question was "putting it on your resume" and to suggest anyone should assume this is ok, is incorrect unless you are applying to be a dealer at a Card Club.