Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Default using poker to your advantage on your resume

is there any way i can put poker on my resume in a positive way? there are a lot of general myths for people untuned about the poker way of life. after all, many people think it is gambling in that it is all luck and no skill. we all know this is false. it is gambling, but we expect to win in the long run.

then there's bankroll management. so many important concepts here that determine the integrity of an individual.

tilt. we need to be able to control our emotions.

long term view. you can do everything right and still, something, will screw it up. but it is the longterm that really matters.

psychology.

blah blah like EVERYTHING is useful towards life! tight and aggressive. that's like choosing your opportunities carefull, and pursuing them aggressively to increase your chances.

any of you tried this with success?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: using poker to your advantage on your resume

Depending on the exact job, you might not want to put it on your resume. However, it should be something interesting to talk about at an interview. See if you can manuver the interview in that direction, find out if the interviewer wouldn't be turned off by poker, and then insert all of the things you put in your post.

- Jason
Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM

This issue has been addressed several times on these forums and the consensus seems to be that putting poker on your resume is a bad idea. Most people have serious misconceptions about poker, and it would take an impractical amount of time and energy to properly explain it to them, and even then, they probably won't even listen and just classify you as a "degenerate gambler".
Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM

NOT professional.

It's good lunchroom conversation though after you are hired.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:11 PM

The upside is tiny, and the downside is huge. To put it another way, unless you're Howard Lederer or some other poker pro commonly seen on TV, this is a terrible idea.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:14 PM

I would NOT leverage this in almost any circumstance. If you are applying for a position in software engineering or mathematics, you could possibly leverage your knowledge of poker as only an example of how a "simple game" has complexity throughout and how you've calculated this and that.

Otherwise, you are taking too great a risk in the hiring process.

If you are applying at large company with a human resources department, you would most likely be faced with an anonymous person raising concerns (without you in the room to answer them) about your interest in gambling and whether said interest could interfere with work in a variety of ways.

Even without an HR department that is always discussing risk, etc. you face the possibility that the hiring manager fearful of the same issues. He may not disclose that in your interview, but his lack of response to your calls and e-mails afterwards would let you know where you stand.

I have a deep interest in Christianity and politics. I really enjoy beer and Poker. I wouldn't bring up any of these things in a hiring situation.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:10 PM

If the job has internet access they may figure you will waste most of your workday reading these forums and not hire you.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Bad Idea

Unless you can show some amazing profit figure, like in the six figure area, you aren't going to impress anyone. They will just think your some sort of degenerate gambler. Remember, poker isn't viewed any differently then blackjack or craps in the eyes of the general public.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:42 PM

Well, I'm a long term winning poker player and I play online quite often. I also interviewed dozens of people over the years when I was in management at a financial services company. If any one of them had mentioned poker I would immediately think they don't know what is and isn't appropriate to mention in an interview, and therefore won't innately understand what is/isn't appropriate to discuss with my company's clients.

To me, it would display poor situational judgement. An interview isn't just about technical skills, its also a forum to evaluate the person you are hiring. That being said, it does make for great lunchroom conversation as mentioned - "You ever watch poker on tv?" and go from there...
Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there any way i can put poker on my resume in a positive way? there are a lot of general myths for people untuned about the poker way of life. after all, many people think it is gambling in that it is all luck and no skill. we all know this is false. it is gambling, but we expect to win in the long run.

then there's bankroll management. so many important concepts here that determine the integrity of an individual.

tilt. we need to be able to control our emotions.

long term view. you can do everything right and still, something, will screw it up. but it is the longterm that really matters.

psychology.

blah blah like EVERYTHING is useful towards life! tight and aggressive. that's like choosing your opportunities carefull, and pursuing them aggressively to increase your chances.

any of you tried this with success?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play this game if I were you.