Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: several mistakes

do you play A8 in 2nd position?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:26 AM

WTF does playing A8 in the 2 hole in a 10 handed game have to with this thread?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:30 AM

amulets right, weak hand and why bet out with ur backdoor draws when u know ur gonna be raised.. see how the action unfolds first and then determine, ur hand's not good enough to call preflop either ur only winning situation is if u hit a flush, the ace is dominated and ur 8 is nothing good.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:38 AM

You have some serious and fundamental misconceptions about poker.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:40 AM

yes i have a misconception about poker, preflop capped = ace is dominated, the 8 is worthless, only value that hand has is its suited. playing aggresive with those backdoor draws when u know its gonna be raised and capped is retarded. WHY dont u explain ur conception of poker then if u think mine is so offset.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:47 AM

Calling the 3-bet preflop is marginal. The flop play was correct as has already been pointed out in this thread. To suggest that this hand shouldn't have been played at all preflop is laughable. The only point that is remotely debatable is whether to raise the open limper or just limp behind. A8s is almost certainly better than whatever the hell this guy happens to be open limping with in MP.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:52 AM

nice response. this tread started because someone posted playing A8s in 2nd position.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: TStoneMBD?

tstonembd,

i certainly am always look for ways to improve my game, and would be interested in constructive thoughts. unlike many here who attack when they do not agree, you seem to be different. i have certainly noticed a difference in the way i approach the game then many 2 +2ers , and it has made me think.

one of the 1st thing i noticed was the hype aggression of many here. reraising a small field or isolating with a small pair, your 3 betting with K9 (just an example), 3 betting with 77 or 88. then post flop, check raising out of position with a hand that is not best ((like the A8s example in this thread), and often 3 betting when your hand probably isn't good but your aggression might win the pot. also i believe there also seems to be a disregard for position at 2+2 (or a lack of understanding). i push very hard when i enter, but i only do so when i think i am best or can steal, and if i have a good flop, or i am getting the right pot odds i am very aggressive. but when i miss the flop and have no overpair, and the pot odds are incorrect, and there field has several plays who i think the flop hit, i do fold, and quickly. i am a winning player, actually significantly so. and there are players here like roy_miami who i seems to usually agree with (and who clearly understand the game well). i also believe i have a strong understand of the game, and my results have shown said understanding.

however, the way i am looking at much of the above may be wrong. i could have huge misunderstanding of major concepts. i am open to feedback on where you think i lack understanding. i think a discussion like that would be interesting and help us both. i know i have much to learn, and i hard work on my game. if you think i have big flaws in my understanding, please share those thoughts in detailed and constructive ways. thank you.

amulet
Old 01-17-2005, 12:40 PM

your post causes me to believe that youre a little bit more openminded than i thought. i did not say that you were a losing player, and i am not at all surprised that you are a significantly winning player. however, ive seen quite a few posts in which you had an assertive opinion regarding a matter, while numerous other posters on this forum disagreed with you. maybe using the term "fundamentally incorrect" is a politically incorrect statement as poker is mainly derived of grey shadows and therefore i cant point my finger at you and say "WRONG!" however, when you have 10 posters disagreeing with you and you are the only one defending your side of the arguement, i think you should be closely analysing how you approach this situation and consider that you may in fact be at the lower end of the grey spectrum. its very true that the players on this forum are extremely aggressive, and i disagree with some of hyperaggressive players here, but ive noticed over the past few months that my game has gradually and steadily mended closely to the strategy advised in this forum, right or wrong, and im starting to agree with some of the aggression more regularly. i regularly post things in which i regret later on, sometimes even the same day, because i realize that i was wrong. that is not to say i am not confident in my approach to the game, as i too am a significantly winning player, but i am very open to criticism brought on by the disagreement of posters i respect.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:36 PM

i love constructive thoghts about my posts and my game. i have much to learn. and as i stated earlier, it does make me think when everyone disagrees with me. however, that does not always mean that they are correct, as i think many here have a similar thinking process. however, they very well may be correct. i love when they present WHY instead of telling me i am incorrect.

on several occassions i have received opinions of people like bob ciaffone, dan harrington, and other top players who are not household names when so many disagree with my thoughts on a hand. while i have often they agreeed with my thoughts, i also found they sometimes disagreed, and even had a totally different thought process then everyone who posted including me. i do not mine being the only one who thinks in a certain way, sheer numbers do make make someting correct, but i WANT to understand others thinking. it may change my thinking. i am open to a deeper understanding of the game, and want to improve. as i mentioned, anytime someone disagrees with me, i would love to understand WHY, instead of some rude comment or some "definetly 3 bet" comment. the whys are impt. i also thing that when i present my whys, even if incorrect, instead of just disagreeing with me other posters could be constructive with well thought out reasons and everyone here would benifit. thank you for the feedback, i look forward to continued sharing and learning. as i mention i have a lot to learn.