Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Well, I\'m officially playing poker for a living....

I prefer not running bad. Meow.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 AM

Your post just popped up after I sent mine Scot....but doesn't your variance increase with the multi table play enough which could lead to needing a larger bankroll for say...2 tables of 15/30 instead of 1? Maybe I'm slow at understanding this completely.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer not running bad. Meow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, me too! You think my rakeback deal covers running bad? Wouldn't mind 30% of my $4k back....
Old 01-16-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post just popped up after I sent mine Scot....but doesn't your variance increase with the multi table play enough which could lead to needing a larger bankroll for say...2 tables of 15/30 instead of 1? Maybe I'm slow at understanding this completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're a winning player, then your variance is actually reduced because you go through so many more hands. it's less likely for you to run bad over 8, 6, 4, whatever tables than it is when you're playing just 1 or 2.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're a winning player, then your variance is actually reduced because you go through so many more hands. it's less likely for you to run bad over 8, 6, 4, whatever tables than it is when you're playing just 1 or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. If you are multi-tabling, your variance is higher and quicker.

It's higher cause, as I have stated earlier in this thread, you won't be able to pay attention as closely as if you were playing less tables. It's humanly impossible to keep track of that many tables. Maybe for a cat but definitely not humans.

It's quicker CAUSE you play more hands. If your style of play and skill level produces a max 300 big bet swing, you will swing those 300 BBs early and often. But what do I know, I'm just a cat. Meow.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:30 AM

Why would that be so?

Itīs all just one long line of hands, that produce the same variance.

Multitabling gets more hands played, and after a month you are more certain that you made money.

But in between, theres exaxctly the same fluctuations. Even more in a month of multitabling, so greater chance you hit the all-time low.

You DO however need a bigger roll for multitabling as with 8 tables, you need to put up 150-200BB to able to get started. And that would be on top of the roll needed. A downswing of 150 would mean you cannot play 8 tables anymore.

I wonder why everyone just stick to 300BB. This number must depend A LOT on your skill level.

Someone winning 1bb/100, would need maybe 3 times as big a bankroll, as someone winning 2.5BB/100, and maybe 9 times a s big a roll as someone winning 4BB/100.

Where does that 300BB come from...some old book?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:30 AM

The cat is correct here. You are playing a lower +EV game, with higher variance. That being said, it doesn't warrant TOO much bigger of a roll..
Old 01-16-2005, 01:33 AM

Damned smart cat if u ask me.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:39 AM

I agree about the exercise bit.
It's important to get out and about and moving and circulating, etc etc.
Reminds me that I haven't been doing that very much of late....but at least I've been eating fairly decently.

Last summer and then again last fall I played in an adult-soccer league....and since I was one of the weaker players amidst a bunch of big and fast 20-28 year-olds (I'm 34 and only 5'6") I got QUITE the workout (and a few annoying injuries) trying to keep up with everyone and hold my own.

I still sucked....but I wasn't TOO terrible (thank god). Even scored a miracle goal among other stellar plays.
And the pressure I put on myself that "we've got a game coming up and I don't want to embarass myself" got me out and running a few miles during the week.

Anyway, I agree the exercise REALLY makes a difference for one's mental endurance and is highly recommended for ANYONE who's doing this online-poker thing.

might join a racket-club as I enjoy tennis and raquetball too even though I suck at those sports also (pretty much).
I'm overweight (not excessively so....just your 'regular' pudgy-overweight I guess) and am not happy about it.

I'm not a big weights or swimming guy but whatever floats your proverbial boat.

Bobby Fischer had a regular swimming/tennis/running regimen when he was in training for the world chess championships.
He was nuts in just about everything else he believed in....but I believe his theories on this are pretty good.... that in order to be in the best mental-shape and have the best possible endurance for a long grueling chess match it behooved him to be in the best possible physical-condition as well.

In other news - my pretty kitty might take URMeowed up on that Meow Mix offer. She now has a new favorite poster on these forums and it's no longer me.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Itīs all just one long line of hands, that produce the same variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read my post above. Well you would be correct if you paid the same amount of attention if you played a single table as you would if you were multi-tabling. But I don't like playing blindfolded straightforward poker. Maybe you humans like more of a challenge, I don't know. But cats can't play as much as humans cause of all our catnaps so we must make the most of the time we play i.e. playing in a way that produces the highest possible win rate for our current skill level. Meow.