Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Well, I\'m officially playing poker for a living....

I hate using the word "professional" around here because it seems to have a negative connotation with a lot of people. Regardless, I guess that's what I'm doing now... playing poker professionally. Finally quit my job yesterday and the measely $10.50/hr that it gave me (big loss). To be honest, even though I know I can beat this game, it's frightening knowing you have nothing to fall back on. First a little background on me...

I'm twenty years old (turn 21 in April) and I am going to school full-time right now. I have been playing poker part-time for probably about a year now, starting at $.50/$1.00 on Party and subsequently losing my deposits a few times. Finally decided I might want to actually learn what I'm doing at the tables and like all of us somehow stumbled upon 2+2. Played very few hours for a long time (maybe 5 a week?) and took poker as a hobby for the most part. I was so oblivious to bonuses (never looked in the Zoo) that it took me literally months to have the bankroll to be able to move up to $2/4.

Anyways, after moving up to $2/4 I started taking the game more seriously, read some more, played some more, and began multi-tabling. Also somewhere in here I made the investment in PokerTracker (which STILL doesn't work on this computer for some reason... no GameTime or whatever its called for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) and began tracking my progress.

After a while playing $2/4 I realized I had the roll for $3/6 so I moved up very briefly. It was brief because I went on one hell of a $3/6 run that very quickly (a week or so tops) I was adequately bankrolled for $5/10 and moved up again. Stayed at $5/10 for a while taking occassional stabs at $15/30 while getting about 100k $5/10 hands in. Then beginning of this year took another stab at $15/30 with a slightly too small roll ($7k or so). Since the new year I've worked that up to $15k and am going to try to make this work at $15/30 long-term. The swings are tough (first week at $15/30 I was up $7.5k, this week down $2.5k) and the good players are much better than $5/10 but there is obviously real money to be made there.

Anyways, enough with the past. Moving forward my plan is to 8-table $15/30 for approximately 5-6 actual table hours per day (I've found it takes a while to get going at the beggining of a session so I don't start counting my time until I've got 4 tables going) while going to school with one (hopefully two) online courses and two (hopefully one) physical classes.

One thing I thought might make this interesting for both me and the 2+2 community is to completely devulge how I'm doing ($/hr, BB/100, bankroll size, hours played, etc). I know some people have done this before and I know I've really appreciated their blogs so I think I am going to try blogging this for those interested (if there are people interested).

I'm also interested in any advice that anyone has for me. I love hearing from people who have been through this before. Oh, and can we please try not to tell me I shouldn't be doing this; it really isn't up for debate, this is going through no matter what. I can't think of a better time in my life to try this, I still intend to get a degree and eventually a real job if this poker thing dries up ever.

From my calculations, I should be able to make easily over $100/hr doing this but the real reason is the freedom from the mundane 9-5 life. Hell, rakeback alone (25% @ Eurobet; 30% @ Empire) should be more than what I used to make working 40 hours a week; poker winnings are a plus and I honestly don't require much to live. If I end up breaking even playing poker, I'd be fine with that too.

Also, I really would appreciate any advice from anyone who has done this before. One thing I know for sure I am going to do is join a gym and hit that up for about 30 minutes to an hour per day (probably before playing) to make sure I get out and keep myself in shape. Also, obviously immaculate records are a must and I am going to go hire a tax attorney once I get my W-2s from my old job for last year (mine as well have him do last year and help me plan this year all at once). I can imagine poker getting boring having to play it 8 hours a day, but in all honestly I can't imagine it being worse than a desk job. And somehow I get highly motivated when I making money for myself and not someone else.

Anyways, this probably wasn't cohesive in the least, but it's late and you get the general idea. I'll probably set-up a website to archive the whole thing for as long as there is interest and I'll probably post updates every couple of days as to how I'm doing. Again, any advice is appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks guys for all you've done for me! Look for the first update with full details in a few days...

Note: If there was a more appropriate place to post this, I'm sorry and please point me in that direction. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Well, I\'m officially playing poker for a living....

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I know for sure I am going to do is join a gym and hit that up for about 30 minutes to an hour per day (probably before playing) to make sure I get out and keep myself in shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to say this too.

Good luck to you. You really kept a $10 an hour job this whole time? What took so long to quit?

Justin A
Old 01-14-2005, 04:54 AM

Meh, I hope I do. I put on twenty pounds last year before I got a job that required some walking during the day (and I'm skinny... 5'10" 145 lbs... 20lbs was a lot!). I really don't want to do that again.

Umm, not really sure. A combination of a few things, but nothing particularly interesting to anyone else. Feels really good to have made the plunge. Hope it all works out...
Old 01-14-2005, 04:56 AM

Congratulations and good luck to you. Everything you said makes perfect sense to me. You have a back up plan and why not try it.
I just quit my job last month and an trying playing full time myself. So you know I am 32 yo college grad so I do understand the importance of an degree. I wish you all the best and if you like to chat further feel free to private me.

BOB
Old 01-14-2005, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the support man! I'd definitely love to chat it up with anyone else on 2+2, especially in the same boat as me. PM me and I'll give you my AIM screen name.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:32 AM

Good luck!!! I wish I will have the bawls to do this one day. I would be interested in checking out your website, let us know when you get it going. I'm sorry I don't have any advice to give you as I don't play at that level yet. Keep your head up. Good idea about trying to get out the house everyday, it will help a lot.

-R
Old 01-14-2005, 05:35 AM

Riochet,

Thanks for the support. Yeah, I really think getting out of the house every day is vital to making it through this. I wasn't really sure about blogging this all but I've gotten a few support PMs already, so if there is sufficient interest, I'd be glad to do it and give some hard numbers about what I make (so many around here consider that taboo for some reason). Anyways, thanks again for your support.

Regards,

Mason...err, or not
Old 01-14-2005, 05:55 AM

Good luck amigo!
Try to concentrate on playing well instead of winning money. Ones out of your control in the short run.

PS
Where are you getting 30% rakeback at empire?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:59 AM

LOL, that would be a solication [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Don't want Mat coming down on me... Check out rakerebatereview.com; I get a little bump for doing so much MGR.

Anyways, yeah it's little relief knowing a played all the hands tonight right when I've lost over $500 in the last hour. Better get used to it quickly though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2005, 06:14 AM

you can set up a blog very easily at http://www.blogger.com/start

good luck to you