Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: qq from party poker level 1

[ QUOTE ]
Very often, even at 30/3. Do you really think people are going to fold AQ, AJ, JJ, TT? Not at the tables I play at. Throw in 1 moron who calls with 76o and this is usually a good play. Try 100 and see what happens. I'd go as low as 90 if I'm in LP and its folded to me, but no lower than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I give it a try and see how it works.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Phil,

You say:

[ QUOTE ]

If re-raised, you may well be up against AA or KK. However, because you bet 100+ and someone raised, you may be able to get away from your QQ. If you had bet 60, you will probably be stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

But earlier, you said:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm only going to do this with AA, KK, AK, or QQ. Therefore, I'm usually thrilled by reraises as steal attempts. Unfortunately, I don't see this often. When you raise this much on level 1, even the maniacs know not to bluff you (of course, this doesn't stop them from calling).

[/ QUOTE ]

So it looks like, with AK or QQ, although you no longer have to worry about reading the flop, you now have to worry about taking the very worst of it on the all-in.

This is fine with me, since you have to use judgement somewhere during poker, and this seems to simplify the decisions you'll need to make. Are there ways to figure out that you *should* be thrilled with the reraise against you when you're holding AK or QQ, and not worry about being against AA or KK?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:44 PM

Fair question. I meant that I'd be thrilled if someone tried to steal since I'm almost always going to call, and I'd be a big favorite against a steal. I wouldn't be thrilled if they raised my QQ with AA, but that's not a steal attempt.

As for being able to tell the difference between a steal and a monster, I wish I knew. Harrington's book gives some suggestions. For example, if you raise from UTG, and UTG makes a huge re-raise, you can be pretty sure he isn't bluffing. He's less likely to bluff with 8 players left to act behind him. Also, if you raise UTG, 1 player calls and then a MP player re-raises, he is showing real strength and you need to be concerned.

However, if your raise was small, he could be re-raising with JJ-TT-AQ in addition to AK, KK or AA. I don't want to be raised by these hands since I'll be playing the rest of the hand in fear. I want to be called by them so I can keep the lead on the flop.

Remember this is level 1 or 2, so your opponents have no read on you either. If they knew you were a tight player, they'd certainly fold when you raise to 100 on the 3rd hand. In reality, even decent players may read you as a maniac/loser and call with hands that they shouldn't. Take advantage of this before you get a rock-like image.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:59 PM

My first QQ level 1 hand since this thread started. Not exactly the same scenario since I was facing a small raise, but the point is the same: morons will play anything on level 1.

This the very first hand of a 30/3 SnG...
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

CO (t800)
Hero (t800)
SB (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t55</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t195</font>, MP2 calls t140, Hero calls t70.

Flop: (t610) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t605 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls t605 (All-In), MP2 folds.

Turn: (t1820) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1820) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1820

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has As Js (one pair, tens).
Hero has Qs Qh (two pair, queens and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins t1820. </font>