Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 09:46 PM

Default qq from party poker level 1

This hand is from a 30 dollar SNG on partypoker. This hand is from level 1.

***** Hand History for Game 1390569338 *****
15/30 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 8408981) - Tue Jan 04 19:31:45 EST 2005
Table Table 11828 (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: BBB123 (635)
Seat 2: ManiacalMo (755)
Seat 3: laikhe66 (945)
Seat 4: AmidaTong (785)
Seat 5: brnslide (725)
Seat 6: LilHomie1104 (965)
Seat 7: Hero (800)
Seat 8: jtlissiak (800)
Seat 9: plumber_ (790)
Seat 10: abbasdelagah (800)
AmidaTong posts small blind (10)
brnslide posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to Hero [ Qc, Qs ]
LilHomie1104 folds.
Hero raises (60) to 60
jtlissiak calls (60)
plumber_ folds.
abbasdelagah folds.
BBB123 folds.
ManiacalMo folds.
laikhe66 calls (60)
AmidaTong calls (50)
brnslide calls (45)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ts, 7d, 9d ]
AmidaTong checks.
brnslide checks.
Hero bets (225)
jtlissiak raises (740) to 740
jtlissiak is all-In.
laikhe66 folds.
AmidaTong calls (725)
AmidaTong is all-In.
brnslide folds.

I folded.

Any comments on my play?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: qq from party poker level 1

For what its worth, you never know...especially only on level 1.

I had a friend, not an hour ago, that was in the SAME situation as you. He had QQ, it was level 1 (about 2-3 hands in), except it was a $10 table.

There were 3 limpers ahead of him, he raised $100 pre-flop, 2 guys called before it got to the magic-man here who re-raised all-in. The only difference was (and it was the reason he called him) that the guy who re-raised to all-in had tried to limp in with a $15 bet at first.

My friend called, and the guy who re-raised to all-in only had KJo. Really questionable play by that guy.

Anyway, its really tough to tell level 1 on PP. Id have called probably, and might have been riding the pine early.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:35 PM

I would have also folded but I am sure many would call. Tough decision. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 11:39 PM

Tough decision. I don't really fault your fold, you still have t515 and blinds are very low.

However, trying to think this through, what would he have? If he hand AA,KK (the only two hands that dominate you) why wouldn't he reraise you? He is in early position and I would think he would want anyone behind him out of the pot so he could be heads up with you.

Would he call your early position raise with 77? I wouldn't think so because he is only 7 to 1 to flop a set and he is only getting 1.41 to 1 pot odds with 7 players still to act behind him.

Maybe AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], JJ, TT or 99. The only hand you dominate is JJ because he has 15 outs if he has AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If he has TT or 99 you are really in trouble.

With the absence of any information on what type of player this guys is, I would lean toward folding because I still have plenty of chips and the blinds are low.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:18 AM

Stop minraising PF and you won't run into this problem (as much).

And, yes, since you let them both into the pot one of them has you beat often enough to fold here.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And, yes, since you let them both into the pot one of them has you beat often enough to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheesh, how much would you have him open for? Given the size of the blinds t60 is a pretty sizeable raise. Thats about my normal raise on level 1. A raise much higher than that and he is likely to wind up winning just the t25 in blinds.

I think your preflop raise was good, and the flop was good for your hand. Personally I think I would have called and hoped for the best. Yes a set or two pair is possible, but I think one of them likely had TPTK or something similar, and the other guy could have had a flush draw. I have seen many horrible plays in the early rounds of these.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheesh, how much would you have him open for? Given the size of the blinds t60 is a pretty sizeable raise. Thats about my normal raise on level 1. A raise much higher than that and he is likely to wind up winning just the t25 in blinds.

I think your preflop raise was good, and the flop was good for your hand. Personally I think I would have called and hoped for the best. Yes a set or two pair is possible, but I think one of them likely had TPTK or something similar, and the other guy could have had a flush draw. I have seen many horrible plays in the early rounds of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pre-flop raise is good for his opponents. It allows them to profitably call with small pairs and suited connectors (assuming they play well post-flop).

I've seen some horrible plays in the early rounds of these, too. Like mini-raising with queens. Or calling 5xBB raises with A2o, which I'm very much okay with.

Limping is acceptable if he expects the pot to get raised behind him, but mini-raising is simply awful.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:50 AM

Except that he wasn't min-raising. His raise was 4BB. My standard raise is 5BB on level 1, 4BB on level 2 and 3BB later until the point where minraising has the same effect (which depends on the particular opponents in the tournament).

Either way, 4BB isn't minraising in my book.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:55 AM

Me neither. I had a guy yesterday who would only minraise when he opened. I cracked his aces with a pair of eights because of it, but he got me back later when I came over the top of him when I was shortstacked. I don't understand the open minraise with a top 5 hand, but it worked out for him that SnG. I see that a lot though. Sometimes they will even limp. The moral of this story is that it's nearly impossible to put low stakes SnG players on a hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sheesh, how much would you have him open for?

[/ QUOTE ]

100 or 125.

His 4xBB bet seems reasonable, but it's only 8% of his stack in this case. Given the implied odds, that's a call for anyone with a pocket pair. Plenty of other hands will call that bet too and hope to break you.

Occassionally, a bigger bet will win only the blinds. However, I'd rather have that than play out of position with QQ against 4 or 5 players. Most the the time 1 or 2 players will call the bigget bet, and that's even better.