Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Help Settle an Argument

Hi,

I prefer to re-raise given the action that has already occured. A reraise to $60 or so is what I like here. You have a monster hand, and action. Get the money in now, and if they call, they will be almost surely committed to further streets because the pot will be "just too big to fold."
Old 01-04-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Results

looks good to me :-D
Old 01-05-2005, 01:07 AM

Either you're way ahead or way behind; raise or fold. If you're going to play, show some strength and push on that flop. Do you think villain(s) would slowplay top/middle set? If not, I think you have to get out of the way.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:29 AM

When you're either way ahead or way behind you have MORE reason to just call rather than raise, not less.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either you're way ahead or way behind; raise or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you don't know what a draw is, and only if you don't like money.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:35 AM

Raise.

1) You can be pretty sure you have the best hand right now. Poker is about getting money in the pot when you have the best hand.
2) There are some hands that have a reasonable chance to draw out on you. JT, KQ
3) I feel the best way to disguise a set is to not slowplay it as most people wait for the turn to raise.
4) I kinda doubt this but the min raise by MP1 might be a free card play.

silly
Old 01-05-2005, 08:38 AM

Call and it's not even close. As has already been mentioned, you're either way ahead (80%+) or way behind (<20% of the time), and by raising a significant amount on the flop you're making it way too easy for someone holding AK or AA to get away from their hand. You thus lose value vs. their entire range of likely holdings since the value you extract from the 'draws' the rest of the field is possibly (not even likely at this point!) holding definitely doesn't compensate for the value you lose by spooking the very probable AA/AK, etc. Flop action of bet, raise, reraise has even the most reckless and incautious of poker players questioning whether or not their overpair or tptk is good. You don't want to lose your customers, especially when they seem eager to build the pot for you, so just slow down and let them donate their chips on the turn/river.