Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Help Settle an Argument

A friend of mine played this hand on Stars and told me about it. We strongly disagreed on his flop action. We debated for a half hour, and we'd like to hear what you guys would do in this situation.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter

MP1 ($179.80)
MP2 ($194.55)
MP3 ($236.85)
Hero ($196.80)
Button ($206.95)
SB ($330.05)
BB ($100.85)
UTG ($52.90)
UTG+1 ($182.20)

Only read is that SB is somewhat weak-tight.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $4</font>, MP2 calls $4, MP3 folds, Hero calls $4, Button folds, SB calls $3, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($24) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $20</font>, MP2 folds, Hero ...

Should hero call or raise (and how much)? Why?

Why is calling superior to raising, or vice versa?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Help Settle an Argument

Call, and raise the turn big unless a 9 comes off.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:29 AM

I think hero has to raise about $30 or $40 in this spot. Otherwise, he's giving TJ odds to call and he's losing value against a hand like KQ.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:37 AM

Interesting hand. I sense UTG's call pre-flop and $10 lead on the flop to be "Big Cards". Without reads, it makes sense for MP1 to try isolating with his draw by upping it to $20. MP1 was the initial raiser (AA? KK and QQ are a possibility I suppose but is MP1 a player that would just min-raise big PP's?) The more I think about this, make it $50 to go. At any rate, it is a crime for Hero not to re-raise over the top after flopping such a strong/hidden hand as this.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 AM

Originally I was going to suggest re-raising on the flop, since you don't want to give 2 free cards to 9T. And I had this huge response written out supporting that, but given the action, I really doubt MP1 has 9T, and a call with a check/raise on the turn has a very high chance of succeeding. If you re-raise again on the flop, all doubt of your hand's strength is dispelled.

However, I'd be a little worried about a higher set, given the way this has proceeded. But with stacks this short and an idiot player who min-raises preflop, I'd be looking for the best way to get it all-in against weaker hands, and I think a re-raise on the flop will, in general, let hands like AK off the hook.

Your decision is also much easier if you lead out on the flop. That helps to conceal the value of your hand.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:47 AM

Sorry, I meant TJ, not 9T.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 AM

Hero should call because he is waaaaaaaaay ahead or waaaaaaaaaay behind.
UTG likely has KQ, AK, or AQ in that order, i think.
MP1 could have a wide range of hands, from AA, to AK/AQ/KQ, to KK/QQ.
The way i see it, the only bad cards for you that can fall on the turn are an A, k, or Q. And these arent always bad, in fact sometimes they may be good. You dont need to rush this hand, especially when you have customers. If UTG has KQ, he will likely reopen the action, trapping MP1. At this point you can repop and get a lot of money in.
If UTG just calls, you will likely be able to get a lot of money in on the turn, without scaring off anyone, because youve got position on them.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your decision is also much easier if you lead out on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
He cant lead out on the flop, he is last to act.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 AM

I agree he is giving JT odds to draw, but why do you think he is losing value against KQ? Dont you think KQ will be itching to get all the money in too? On the turn or otherwise, KQ will come along.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:03 AM

My point was that by cold-calling, he's not only giving JT odds to chase, but he could ALSO be getting more money out of KQ. Granted, KQ would be looking to get all of his money in at some point, but why not raise, get KQ to call when he's drawing to 4 outs and make JT pay for his draw?