Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: poker is boring

There are more decisions to be made in NL because of the betting structure. Sklansky breaks down limit to its core with his 8 mistakes essay, but that would need to be extended for NL because you could add many more mistakes because of the ability to alter your bet. Not making large enough bets is a very common mistake in NL, as well as overbetting too often. The other variations of this are obvious.

There is certainly a lot going on in a limit game in each hand, but your statements make it seem like NL is more of waiting for big hands than it actually is. The semi-bluff and bluff is so much more effective in NL that essentially -- with a solid understanding of position, bluffing, and betting patterns -- you could play profitably irregardless of your cards if you are skilled enough at the game. That certainly is not be boring!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:36 PM

Switch to NL S&G's. Much more exciting IMO and seems to be more profitable (at least for me). Play like 3 or 4 tournaments during the day and take a break and then play more at night. I've found that playing more than 4 tourneys in a row can cause you to make stupid mistakes around tourney #5 or 6. But they are certainly more exciting.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:34 AM

i think my boredom was a result of the shitty run i've been having, which had me winning .6BB/100 for 29k hands (i know it's not a downswing, but it felt that way). i took 2 days off and tonight and ran really well. poker is fun again! thanks guys.