Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 01:55 AM

Default poker is boring

i remember when it was my favorite thing to do. after class i couldn't wait to get home and log a few hours. then i'd rush through my homework so i could play more. nowadays, my sessions usually last 20 minutes and i end up quitting due to the mind numbling monotony. maybe monotony isn't the right word, because i'm still constantly challenged with difficult decisions. but the difference is lately i don't have fun making those decisions.

basically, poker has become like any other job i've ever had, and i hate working. i honestly thought this would never happen.

those of you that have been playing for a year or longer, have you had a similar experience? does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can make playing fun again?

thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: poker is boring

Do you play any other games? Sometimes I play 7 card stud, omaha, etc. just to change things up. If I really get bored at poker I'll pick up another hobby for a while like chess or something.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:06 AM

This is very sucky to hear. Is this what I can look forward to?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:18 AM

get into day trading and real estate
Old 01-03-2005, 02:23 AM

play no limit
Old 01-03-2005, 02:24 AM

Me too. Take a break from poker, move up in stakes. I was just bored with the game for a while but now I'm enjoying it after moving up in stakes and taking a break and running well. I think this happens to everyone, no one belives it either when they first get infatuated with the game.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:26 AM

Stop playing and stop thinking about poker and do other stuff. Play live if you can. People grow up and change, and when you get down to it, poker isn't that sexy, interesting and varied an endeavor, especially when its limit and is online. There so much more to life than money, at least when you have some money.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
basically, poker has become like any other job i've ever had, and i hate working.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, this is ridiculous. Did you have as much freedom at any other job as you do with poker? How about office BS? I don't think playing poker for a living, at least as a grinder, is something you do for fun.

Anyway, poker is not a job, it's a business. You are your own boss. If you don't work, you don't make any money, and you can sometimes lose money even when you do work.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:45 AM

Basically I look at day trading as higher stakes slooooooooow poker. How much would you need to invest before you could not work and have positive cash flow?
Old 01-03-2005, 02:48 AM

This depends on a lot of things. Where do you live? How do you need to live to be happy?