Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Young players these days...

[ QUOTE ]
he shows down AQ, i show 23h and he goes INSANE, soooo tilted the rest of the session and gives me all of his chips while whining for an hour more. good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha! Awesome. I'm 35 and I still get those comments and looks. You are a tiltmachine!
Old 01-02-2005, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't say all young players are TV idiots. I was playing 6/12 at Oaks and this 50 something black guy comes up, demands more footroom, and quickly berates myself and a 20 something guy who wanted to know if he was serious, (his seat had previously been held by a 300 pound guy.) He tells us he's been coming here for 20+ years, and he deserves respect. A few hands in he plays a Q8, three bets on flop and turn, board is 10J102, he rivers his 9, then is furious when my buddy flips over 99 for the full house. He starts to chide my friend, "only someone from your generation would try and run over a table with 99, blah blah blah." I kindly remind him that it was his choice to play a gutshot for 3 bets head up in a small pot. He leaves the table broke after about 1/2 hour. These table coaches who themselves aren't any good are just as irritating as any WPT wannabe. Personally, I wear clear sunglasses at the table often because it relaxes my eyes. Also, if I notice a few LAG's at my table, I'll start cheering for cards, after they hit. This pays off big time if I actually hit my small set or something, as I'll get paid off everytime by these morons with J2 pair of jacks.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:39 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: LLWesMan-Amanda Bynes Pic!

Heh heh, mmmm.......Amanda Bynes....barely legal teen, droool! *gets mind out of gutter*

In my trip to last weeks $100 NL Hold 'Em 250-player max event at Foxwoods (weekly tourney on Thursday mornings) I found plenty of imitation "The Crews" wandering around.

And I found plenty of "own-my-own-business" 40-somethings who liked to just bet and bet and bet, with garbage hands.

When I sit down at the table, I figure anywhere from 60-80% of the players (at least in these low buy-in events) are pretty weak. Maybe 8-12% are average or fairly solid, not too tricky. Only a handful will prove troublesome.

This is regardless of age. There are young players who are very strong in the game, and dinosaurs who are also. But there are many more bad players overall, regardless of age or station in life (a rich guy wearing lots of expensive jewelry and clothes isn't necessarily going to be better than a young college kid who's eating roman' noodles for the fifth time this week)
Old 01-02-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one cares that you play poker and you may be more adept at the game than others

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't profess to be better than anyone at anything.

I pointed out two situations where people outplay themselves because they can't get around something as simple as a player's age or, as you put it, their pants size.

If you think I'm the one worrying about my hat here, you're wrong.

-DB
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I wear clear sunglasses at the table often because it relaxes my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. What are clear sunglasses?
1a. Do they shade you from dark sunlight?
2. How do said "sunglasses" relax your eyes if its the same as wearing nothing?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:35 PM

This is an interesting philosophy. I'm not sure if I disagree with it or not but let me make this point.

Let's say you're heads up on the flop with 9-8 against an unknown player... for the sake of the argument we'll say it's no limit poker. Flop is J-9-8..you bet out and the unknown pushes a good-sized stack all-in. Against a total idiot, this seems like a fairly routine call, but in reality I know I would probably muck this and wait for a better spot.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:35 PM

You bring up a very valid point. As someone who must suffer through a lot of stereotypes, I understand where you are coming from.

Unfortunately, a lot of what the middle-ager players say and witness is a fact. To jump to conclusions, however, is always a mistake. I have seen too many good players your age to repeat the mistake over and over again, as I have seen too many female players to do the same (Cindy Violette, Tanya Peck).

When I enounter a young player at the table, I usually behave in the same fashion as I always behave (silent, watchful, deadly), until I am proven otherwise.

The thing that bugs me most about some players (and this has nothing to do with gender or age, although young players seem to be doing more of this lately) is the cheering and grandstanding when they knock another player out of a tournament, bad beat or not.

This is when I normally step in. Now that I'm 36, I can do the "mother" routine, and chastise them gently, without any hurt feelings on any side. I hope that I make friends at the table, not enemies, and I am usually encouraged by the responses that I receive.

Here are some guidelines that I wrote, upon request, last month to the cardroom manager at Sam's Town:

9) Do not berate your competition under any circumstances
10) If you outdraw an opponent, eliminating him from competition, instead of howling like a rabid dog, stand up, shake his hand, and allow him to leave the table with dignity
11) If you are eliminated, leave the table gracefully, without any whining about bad beats or yelling at your opponent asking "How could you play that hand?"
20) Always act in a courteous, mature manner no matter how others behave in the cardroom

Good luck...you are the future!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2005, 09:01 PM

i think that assuming a player is decent in nl and assuming they suck in limit are good philosophies until proven wrong.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:58 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: To Felicia

[ QUOTE ]
You bring up a very valid point. As someone who must suffer through a lot of stereotypes, I understand where you are coming from.

Unfortunately, a lot of what the middle-ager players say and witness is a fact. To jump to conclusions, however, is always a mistake. I have seen too many good players your age to repeat the mistake over and over again, as I have seen too many female players to do the same (Cindy Violette, Tanya Peck).

When I enounter a young player at the table, I usually behave in the same fashion as I always behave (silent, watchful, deadly), until I am proven otherwise.

The thing that bugs me most about some players (and this has nothing to do with gender or age, although young players seem to be doing more of this lately) is the cheering and grandstanding when they knock another player out of a tournament, bad beat or not.

This is when I normally step in. Now that I'm 36, I can do the "mother" routine, and chastise them gently, without any hurt feelings on any side. I hope that I make friends at the table, not enemies, and I am usually encouraged by the responses that I receive.

Here are some guidelines that I wrote, upon request, last month to the cardroom manager at Sam's Town:

9) Do not berate your competition under any circumstances
10) If you outdraw an opponent, eliminating him from competition, instead of howling like a rabid dog, stand up, shake his hand, and allow him to leave the table with dignity
11) If you are eliminated, leave the table gracefully, without any whining about bad beats or yelling at your opponent asking "How could you play that hand?"
20) Always act in a courteous, mature manner no matter how others behave in the cardroom

Good luck...you are the future!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post, hit the nail on the head. Although if it weren't for the grandstanding, the whooping and hollering, you have to admit that poker on television would be exceedingly boring to watch.

But, I myself have adopted the "robot" style of play. I don't allow my emotions to control me anymore, whether I've just lost to runner-runner, a miracle one-outer, etc. Or if I've just won a big pot or I'm the chip leader (I can recount numerous times in the past where my hubris as chip leader lead to my downfall, as I finished one spot out of the money many times when I should have been a shoe-in)

I shake hands with people I eliminate and wish them better luck. And I congratule players who beat me in pots. My play has improved dramatically from this change in behavoir.

FWIW, I'm 27 years old.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:34 AM

I dont play with any regulars who would give a rat's ass how old you are. I've seen young players trying to make moves on older guys. I've seen older guys refusing to give younger players any respect. What's it matter what the reason happens to be? If you're stupid enough to bet into people based on a prejudice, disregarding their playing style and skill, then you deserve the sound thumping you will take on a regular basis. Who gives a crap if someone has an age bias? Let nature take its course. Wear a stuffed skunk on your head for all I care. I'll still trap your ass when I catch you out of position with cheese-in-the-hole.