Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Do you fear quads in this situation?

A PFR of 20% is outrageous. My VPIP isn't that high. I would definately 3-bet pre-flop and slow down on the river. Given that PFR I might even slow down on the turn.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:52 PM

With all that cold-calling going on, I couldn't really blame your opponent for playing AQ this way, if that's what he had.

I think that pot is padded nicely enough that you don't have to worry about being beat. Get as much in as you can.

Peace
--Tom
Old 12-29-2004, 06:53 PM

My gosh. You don't know why to bet the flop? You bet the flop because you have a super aggro opponent. How on earth will you get to 3-bet without leading at him. When I am out of position with a set against a moderately aggressive opponent who put the last raise in pre-flop, my preferred line is to lead the flop, call the raise, lead the turn with the intention of three betting. They always call you down and you make 1.5BB's/per player more than checkraising the turn.

Besides, leading into super aggro opponents can create 36BB pots.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:55 PM

My gosh. You don't know why to bet the flop? You bet the flop because you have a super aggro opponent. How on earth will you get to 3-bet without leading at him. When I am out of position with a set against a moderately aggressive opponent who put the last raise in pre-flop, my preferred line is to lead the flop, call the raise, lead the turn with the intention of three betting. They always call you down and you make 1.5BB's/per player more than checkraising the turn.

No one mentioned check-calling the flop to c/r the turn. You have a super-strong hand on a draw-heavy but scary for others flop, you act immediately before the preflop capper with two others in the hand. I think this is a check-raise.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:50 AM

Next time you might mention the 20% PFR in the first post. It completely changes everything. I am assuming you have a reasonable number of hands. If this was 2 raises in 10 hands then nevermind.

Your 3-bet preflop is poor against a normal person but mandatory against a 20% PFR.

Checkraising the flop to trap opponents looks essential.

Against a normal person with a likely narrow range of capping hands I would never 3-bet the river heads up and might not bet the river at all. QQ is the only normal preflop capping hand that even beats ordinary trips so his fearless turn play is very worrisome.

Against this player I'll stop betting and raising when the dealer makes me.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:15 AM

Never fear quads when raises are limited to 3. Id be more worried about a moron playing Q10s like Aces preflop.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never fear quads when raises are limited to 3. Id be more worried about a moron playing Q10s like Aces preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am absolutely not worried about QTs. Take another look at the board.

If AQ is a capping hand for this player then he might have it. But most players don't generally do that.

Otherwise to show down less than QQ would be a moronic thing. Raising six times with AA or less on a QQT45 board is just ridiculous. If your read is that your opponent is a sensible person with tight capping standards you need to stop raising TT at some point.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Next time you might mention the 20% PFR in the first post. It completely changes everything. I am assuming you have a reasonable number of hands. If this was 2 raises in 10 hands then nevermind.

Your 3-bet preflop is poor against a normal person but mandatory against a 20% PFR.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I didn't have a decent number of hands on him - only about 30, which is why I didn't rely too heavily on those statistics and also why I didn't mention it in my original post. It was enough to make me 3-bet preflop, but I might've done so even if I had no read at all. The call is close, and SSHE (my bible) advocates raising in this situaion. Are there other factors that I am not considering that makes 3-betting in this situation poor?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there other factors that I am not considering that makes 3-betting in this situation poor?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. You have bad position. That will cost you pots and reduce the value of your raise.

2. It is too late to avoid a multiway pot. There are two coldcallers and only BB could be forced out by a 3-bet.

3. You don't match up well with the range of hands that most 2/4 players would have for their open-raise. Usually you are either about equal versus overcards or dominated by an overpair. That's heads you lose, tails we flip again.

4. You often get capped with two outs.

5. If you flop a set you will want to trap the field with a checkraise. Easier to do from this position if you just call.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are there other factors that I am not considering that makes 3-betting in this situation poor?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. You have bad position. That will cost you pots and reduce the value of your raise.

2. It is too late to avoid a multiway pot. There are two coldcallers and only BB could be forced out by a 3-bet.

3. You don't match up well with the range of hands that most 2/4 players would have for their open-raise. Usually you are either about equal versus overcards or dominated by an overpair. That's heads you lose, tails we flip again.

4. You often get capped with two outs.

5. If you flop a set you will want to trap the field with a checkraise. Easier to do from this position if you just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like most of those points (1, 3, 4 and 5) would apply to any situation when it is one bet to you in the small blind (or any early position). Why, then, would SSHE reccomend raising as a default play in this position? Are they wrong? Under what circumstances (aside from an obvious steal attempt) would a raise be correct?