Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Teach me to protect - PUH-LEASE!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this fine but...I like the check-raise idea on the flop more then betting out. Not for the flush though but to protect against the str8. I think a C/R has a high chance chance of it working since CO raised PF. I like getting gutshots to fold. Anybody with a 6 or 8 has odds to call one bet but not 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you were CO, would you bet AK if checked to on this flop? i think i'd take my free card.

edit: sarge beat me..

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet this flop if I'm CO every single time....

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you check raise this as hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would depend on the table. If I thought check-rasing would get gutshots to fold, yes I would. If they were all calling stations, oblivious to pot odds, I bet out and hope CO raises me trapping everyone between.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:43 PM

There are a few concepts in HEPFAP that come into play at all levels. One of them is taking free cards with UI high cards. Don't bet other player's hands.

In fact, a play that works (maybe not at this limit) really well if you have AK (and check the flop) is to bet/raise the turn not only when an ace or king slides, but also when a queen slides off as a bluff. You would be shocked how many times a bluff or bluff-raise works in this spot.

Brad
Old 12-29-2004, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this fine but...I like the check-raise idea on the flop more then betting out. Not for the flush though but to protect against the str8. I think a C/R has a high chance chance of it working since CO raised PF. I like getting gutshots to fold. Anybody with a 6 or 8 has odds to call one bet but not 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you were CO, would you bet AK if checked to on this flop? i think i'd take my free card.

edit: sarge beat me..

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet this flop if I'm CO every single time....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack this thread, but you'd bet unimproved AK everytime into a field of 5 players?

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that was an exaggeration but this is an auto-bet sitaution for me perhaps 90% of the time. When I raise pf and everyone checks to me on the flop I hate telling them I have overcards by checking. I'm not expecting to win the pot right there but just to improve my winning chances. By raising I might get a few of them to fold and I might get a free look at the river. I might even get someone to fold a better hand that has me reverse dominated. I also can get some valuable info if I'm C/R'd.

Just because I probably don't have the best hand does not mean I have to act like it. Is this type of play that unusual?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:47 PM

I think of two things when reading this thread:

1)The title of your thread is "Teach me to Protect," and as it says on p. 155 of SSH "a check raise often protects your hand when betting out does not." I think this explains why some would give you the advice to try the c/r, because you've asked how to protect, but.....

2) I don't think this is a hand that needs protecting though. A flopped set is a monster holding at the time and I would be more concerned about getting bets in the pot than driving people out.

FWIW, I've found the c/r to be much more effective on the turn anyway, though I'm not as technically sound as others here.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:56 PM

There's 6+ BB in the pot on the flop, and there are many 1-card gutshots out there. Why are we not protecting? I c/r this without hesitation on the flop. The set right now is not a monster by any means. There are 8 cards out there that potentially cripple us and force us to redraw. C/R and give the gutshot incorrect odds to call.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:02 PM

What is all the fuss about in this thread? Hero played the hand fine in my opinion.