Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Chasing a flush draw on the flop

All the response has been very helpful. I actually didn't think twice about it before calling. He happened to have flipped over two aces and they held up, but that's just luck of the draw.

Regarding my other question, I wasn't talking about the same situation per say, but rather a situation for example if 2 aces flop with two of the same suit (including the ace) and I have KQ of that suit. From the betting and previous observation, I can safely place the villain on trip aces and probably not a full boat. I had already called a bet on the flop and the turn is a rag, should I continue with this hand even though the pot odds are right? I guess the correct answer, like any other poker question, will depend on absolute/relative stack size, stage of the tournament, etc. But I suppose the point is, pot odds ain't everything. But I'm sure you all knew that already.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 PM

this is a simple pot odds question and i am suire you got the correct answer somewhere, but you are 35% to make the flush plus the A might be good if it hits so you have 12 outs probably possibly more and possibly less. the pot before the all in is 6 limpers for 100 each plus 200 so you are getting 25-17 odds.

Pat
Old 12-21-2004, 08:02 PM

If you put him on AA, KK, QQ, JJ, JT or better, or a set (with the two rag cards), he's a 1.5 to 1 dog. So I guess the pots odds are just on the right side of correct for calling (this is a reversal of my first post). But I think it's so close that either decision is probably correct.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 AM

Move in.

You were the big blind in an unraised pot and on top of the flushdraw your ace might also be live.

Ideally youd like to pick it up right here hoping some late positionplayer is kicking himself for not raising preflop with a hand like QJ or KJ, but as the big blind its easy for him to feel uncomfortable with one pair on a ragged flop.

Even if he calls you ovbiously have outs.

FYI, in a 6 way pot, chances are almost no one is folding for 2x the big blind.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:33 AM

SossMan every time I come on this board and read through the posts in a thread you've posted on, I never end up posting b/c you pretty much say everything I was thinking in a better way than I could in the first place. Thank you for your posts they really are a joy to read and anybody who is a beginer in tournament poker would do well to search for your name and digest.

Gavin Griffin
Old 12-22-2004, 02:52 PM

Moving in makes it obvious that I'm on a draw and it probably will drive away others drawing to a smaller flush. By leading out betting, I was hoping to give an impression that I have a weak J or something like that to give the others a chance to keep drawing or slow play to "trap" me. This way, even if a diamond hits on the turn, I'm hoping that my play plus the bigger pot size will entice people to overplay their hands. I've seen a lot of slow plays at this table, even with possible flush and straight draws, so that's why I was attempting this.

Can anyone comment if this is sound logic or not?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moving in makes it obvious that I'm on a draw and it probably will drive away others drawing to a smaller flush. By leading out betting, I was hoping to give an impression that I have a weak J or something like that to give the others a chance to keep drawing or slow play to "trap" me. This way, even if a diamond hits on the turn, I'm hoping that my play plus the bigger pot size will entice people to overplay their hands. I've seen a lot of slow plays at this table, even with possible flush and straight draws, so that's why I was attempting this.

Can anyone comment if this is sound logic or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

An open-push is bad. You'd be betting 5100 into a 650-chip pot, and I'm hard-pressed to think of a time when that'd be the right play. You just need to be aware that by betting 200 you're inviting someone to play back at you because you look weak. One good aspect of this is that someone with a worse flush draw is likely to push this flop. If you happen to get to the turn cheaply that's nice, but you need to have a plan in mind for what to do if you miss.

With 6 people to the flop at a table where no one's protecting their hands against draws, I might just check the flop. If there's a bet and callers, you can check-call. If there's a bet from EP and 0/1 callers you can fold or push, and the push'll be much more reasonable with respect to the size of the pot. The problem with this approach occurs when everyone checks to the CO, he bets the pot, and you're next to act with 4 players still behind you (as would've happened here.) You're likely going to have to get rid of your hand in this case.

I think your line of thought's fine, particularly given what you said with regard to the texture of the table.