Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Tournament Hold Em Software

Oh, man! I thought I was the only nerd to get this program! I only play it for a bit at nights, and it took four days to play that 2003 wsop and win! I was into the fifth day of play in the 2004 wsop but busted at 61st place. It took a while to figure out the players, but they undoubtedly call all-in way too much. But then again, so did I.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:35 PM

Annie Duke is now on the cover of this SW and has been doing some promotions for it. I kind of like it, but haven't played it enough to form a full opinion on the players. The second version is supposed to come out in the spring and include multiple player internet capabilities, better AI, and player customization. They also have a forum and seem to solicit and use constructive feedback.

Game Site
Forum
Old 12-20-2004, 12:11 PM

I have both Wilson and DD Tournament Hold Em'.

Wilson: In my opinion, a terrible program. It is extremely easy to predict computer actions. AI opponents are basically terrible. It tries to compensate by calling all-ins with terrible hands (I've seen 8-10o), but your bluffing frequency is harshly skewed in this game. A pure waste of money, in my opinion.

DD: Even though it was only $20, I was happier with this than with Wilson's software. The AI is better (although still not perfect). I've noticed that in this version, CPU opponents tend to fold easily to minimum bets/raises, but call all-ins with suprising frequency. Graphics are good, and has several options that allow for customizable play (you can choose from 3 levels of difficulty for computer opponents). Worth the $20, and a much better bet than Wilson.

Acespade: Have not had experience with this software, but from my experience, is supposed to be much better than Wilson's software. The main site has Sklansky endorsing it, so it probably is much better than Wilson. They also have Stud/Omaha versions as well, but I think it's more expensive than the others.

Poki: Have only recently heard of this, but I'm planning on getting it soon. Quite expensive (full version is $129) but looks great from what I've seen. AI is supposed to adapt to your play, and has customizable players (could change looseness/tightness & aggressiveness on every street, etc.). From what I hear, the heads up bot is supposed to be quite good, because it's programmed to not lose, as oppossed to winning, which is supposedly a very profitable heads up strategy (I have no real knowledge of programming or game theory, so I can't back this up).
Old 12-21-2004, 11:58 AM

I've got the DD Tournament poker game as well, and have very little to complain about. Unfortunately I don't have much to compare it with either as I haven't played Wilson or the others, but I would definitely recommend the DD one. If nothing else the tournament manager feature is worth it alone, we run all of our local ( < 50) tournaments with it...