Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: bankroll

300 is good based on an expected hourly rate and standard deviation that MM used, this was widely acceptable for the games he was talking about.

While i think 500BB at most party games is overkill, the risk of ruin formula is based on A) winrate and B) Standard deviation. While these numbers are completely irrelevant to the difference between 1/2 and 50/100 unit wise, the truth is as you move up in stakes the players get better, and as that happens A) goes down and B) goes up.

As your winrate changes your bankroll requirements for ~4-5% ROR changes exponentially. However this ROR is based on playing that limit till you're broke, your ROR is basically 0 if you're a significant winning player and are willing to move down in stakes once you hit some reasonable mark, IE 150BB.

The arguement about not being able to focus if you move down in stakes might be true for an individual, but that's a flaw in ones game and if possible should be remidied, you should always be playing your A game, and the units of betting shouldn't really matter.

Again in conclusion, i think 300 BB is fine in just about any game for a recreational player willing to move down when neccisary. If you're living off your bankroll i think 500BB is a much better guide. The important thing to remember while 300BB gets thrown about that's based off two factors that change significantly as you move up in stakes, subsequently to keep the same ROR as the games get tougher, sad as it is your BR has to increase exponentially. a 4BB/100 winner at 1/2 with 150BB probably has the same ROR as a 1BB/100 winner at 15/30 with 500BB. *Estimations, the math is exact and can be computed given a winrate(hard to figure out accurately) and standard deviation (not as hard).
Old 12-19-2004, 11:40 PM

Fellas -
I'm going to chime in here to point out that the original poster now thinks that in order to play on 4 tables that he needs to have 300BB's for each table he plays.

He is not stating his questions terribly eloquently, but I do believe he is grossly misunderstanding the discussion.

300BB's is an appropriate OVERALL bankroll.
How much TOTAL money you have in order to play at a certain limit.

It does not need to change (not by much anyway) if you play on 4 tables. In other words, your 300BB's are still good even if you play on 4 tables.

As far as how much you should BUY-IN for at the table....I would recommend 25BB's on EACH table (which is pretty standard). But 50BB's is fine too.

If you buy-in for 300BB's on EACH table you play on you will look a bit strange.

Amazingly, this is not THAT uncommon a mistake.
There was a thread a few months ago of some guy who asked if he REALLY needed to buy-in for 300BB's when he played at the B&M...because every time he did it he said everyone else at the table was laughing at him.

Yes....when this guy sat down at his local 3/6 game he would actually buy-in for $1800 and bring all these stacks of red chips to the table.

Better safe than sorry I guess.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes....when this guy sat down at his local 3/6 game he would actually buy-in for $1800 and bring all these stacks of red chips to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure it wasn't Evan and those guys?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:47 PM

Haha, no...that's 2/4!

And if Evan stacks any higher than 3 tiers, he has trouble seeing over it without sitting on a telephone book! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hi Evan! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You guys are sick bastards! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 AM

How big your bankroll needs to be depends completely on your win rate and your acceptable risk level. What may be a satisfactory bankroll for ome will be vastly different for someone else.

If you are a losing player, you need an unlimited bankroll or an extreme willingness to go bust.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:33 AM

300 BB is weak dude. I had 1400 BB at the 2/4 game including one chip of almost every color (my poor ass couldn't afford a grey which is $5k).

I built triangles starting with a 5 stack (1 full rack) base and progressively got smaller as I went up. I stacked another 60-70 chips on top of the pyramid with the different colors serperating stacks of white and red. Its really the only way to play 2/4.