Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 09:15 AM

Default bankroll

is there a list of bankroll as i cant find it
or can some one fill this in for me

limit games

stake bankroll
£1/2 £
£2/4 £
£3/6 £
£5/10 £

no limit games
£.50/1 £
£1/2 £
£2/5 £
£5/10 £

for no limit games is it different ?
and i see some play upto 8 games at once how does that mean u have to have 8 times that bankroll to do it ??
sry if this a lame but i need to no

thank you
Old 12-19-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: bankroll

for limit the min. bankroll is 300 BB and for NL it is 10*max buy-in (20 times would be metter though).
Old 12-19-2004, 01:32 PM

300BB is enough up to £2/4, then I'd really prefer a 500BB bankroll. More if playing shorthanded.

No, you don't need a (much) bigger bankroll to play multiple tables.

20 buy-ins is usually considered enough for small stakes nl.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:29 PM

so is that
limit game of £2/4

i would need 300bb *4 =£1200
so i would need a bankroll of £1200 to play in that game??
and u say for higher games u would used 500bb

so in a
£5/10
10*500=£5000 to play
Old 12-19-2004, 05:37 PM

bankroll considerations are dependent on your goals in regards to playing poker. The standard 300 BB formula you see bandied about here is thought to provide you with the most safety from going broke. If you are living out of your bankroll, 500BB is probably best. If you are just playing for fun, play with whatever you want. The smaller your roll, though, the more likely you are to go broke.

peace

john nickle
Old 12-19-2004, 05:42 PM

ok

but have i got it right ?isit 300bb in a £2/4 room = to £1200 and u should be safe playing there
Old 12-19-2004, 05:53 PM

as long as you arent paying the bills out of the roll, 300BB will be fine at almost anylevel. So yeah, 1200 of those things you people call "pounds" is fine. Some shorthanded games have a higher variance, and thus you would want a bigger bankroll.

peace

john nickle
Old 12-19-2004, 06:04 PM

@cnfuzzd

thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as long as you arent paying the bills out of the roll, 300BB will be fine at almost anylevel. So yeah, 1200 of those things you people call "pounds" is fine. Some shorthanded games have a higher variance, and thus you would want a bigger bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite agree, I think 500BB is a very reasonable bankroll for a recreational £5/10 player. (This is pretty much 10/20.) Live 300BB would do fine, but online the games are tougher and your standard deviation will be higher, necessitating a higher bankroll.

Off course if you are willing to step down in limits if on a prolonged downswing you can make do with less than 300BB even.

If you don't mind occasionally refilling on payday you don't really need to worry much at all about a bankroll. As a college student I can't really refill easily, and if I am forced to step down in limits I might lose focus as the smaller stakes makes me focus less on the game. Playing while distracted is bad for me.

It's a question of how secure you want to be. A more appropriate thing to do might be to find out your win rate, your standard deviation and what risk of ruin you are willing to tolerate, that would let you calculate your bankroll requirements to the last penny.

As you go up in limits bankroll must grow. Opponents get better, which lowers your winrate, and even the bad opponents get more aggressive which increases your fluctuations. Lower win rate and higher fluctuation leads to a bigger bankroll being necessary. (This is true for hold'em, and in games like stud where the size of the ante as proportion of the small bet grows as you move up you most increase your roll even more.)
Old 12-19-2004, 06:25 PM

ive always heard the 300BB figure as a good guideline for all games. This may not be true. I believe the figure was originally presented in an essay by MM. Perhaps someone could illucidate further.

peace

john nickle