Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Voice commands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have you looked into touch screen?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm one lazy monkey granny. I don't even want to move. I just wanna bark out commands while swinging around in my tree. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No barking required:
Monkey Computer Mind Control

I've also seen demonstrations with humans manipulating objects on a computer screen. I think these were by the same group as in the article, which is a couple of years old. These techniques are pretty crude right now. For one thing, you have to wear a tin-foil cap, of sorts (actually this is preferable to what they did with the monkeys).

[Make your own jokes.]
Old 12-19-2004, 05:18 PM

i had heard that they have come a long way on the error rate, but my biggest concern surrounded around moving windows etc. i'm sure that vocal macros could be developed to move a window, but that is where i think the errors would make it more of a pain than a benefit.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read something in some magazine about 6 months ago, I don't konw if it was under development or if it was already on the market.
Anyways, it was some kind of air held mouse
You didn't have to keep the mouse to a flat surface, instead you held a piece of hardware in your hand and moved it around.
.... It might even have been in some Sci-Fi movie.

Anyway, why would you prefer a touchscreen to a mouse?

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

They have these, here's one: GryoRemote

Never used it though.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:32 PM

Granny,

Would a tablet PC do what you are considering? I haven't looked into this at all, maybe the poker clients are compatible, maybe not...
Old 12-19-2004, 05:59 PM

Would a tablet PC do what you are considering?

this is exactly the functionality i am looking for. they have tablet PC's?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:11 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Have you seen the "Carousel of Progress" at WDW (Magic Kingdom, Tomorrowland)? There's a pretty funny scene at the end, which is set in the future, in which there's a voice-activated oven roasting the meat for dinner. The wife/mom (I think) calls out a command to change the temperature, and the oven responds "Changing oven temperature to 350 degrees." Meanwhile, the grandma and one of the children are over playing a video game, and calling out their scores to everyone in the living room. Nobody notices the oven responding, "Changing oven temperature to 500 degrees", "Changing oven temperature to 750 degrees", etc. I think it hits 2000 degrees before blowing up and ruining dinner.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, it could be useful, but I'd probably be too paranoid to use it until a lot of early adopters started saying it was working well for them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have these, here's one: GryoRemote

Never used it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used this for about 15 minutes at work. It was over a year ago a bit before I was all that serious about poker. It took a very open mind and 10 minutes of practice. After that, I got pretty good with it.

Like anything new, it feels extrememely awkward at first. Thanks for reminding me about that. I think I'll "borrow" it for a couple nights and see if it is usable from my treadmill. (I don't run, just walk fast)

Onaflag.........
Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 PM

Regarding the gyration:

I was considering getting one of these for poker. I have heard that it works quite well and that its pretty accurate. BUT, the thing is probably pretty heavy. While it does seem cool, I think its very likely that it'll get tiring waving this thing around, even though you'd probably only need to move your wrist for the most part.

I agree with the reliability problems with voice recog.

Touchscreen sounds like a good idea, but I'm afraid of how many times I'll have to touch the button to get it to work. Even with the mouse, you sometimes have to click on the fold/call whatever button more than once to get it to work. Would it be as accurate as a PDA? or more like an ATM?