Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Gargle and then speak up, Joe

You act as if there is a secret poker codebook, with all this stuff written down in absolute, no-argument-allowed terms

The codebook is based in mathematics. You don't want anymore equity quotes so you can go find the numbers yourself. There is no arguement, you are wrong. Sorry, I seem so harsh, I came from the Dynasty school of poker and posting. I just can't express it any stronger how off base you are folding QT there.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-15-2004, 09:57 PM

I limp here too in 6max, my DB isnīt big enough to show that itīs profitable, but it should be pretty clear if limpers limps weak hands and plays bad.

I dont play it 100% after limpers, but very often as most of them are both bad and loose.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:07 AM

It's no joke. For this particular game Carl was in---yes, you'd still much rather have position, but it wasn't as big a factor as it would be in a more aggressive game.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 AM

yes, you'd still much rather have position, but it wasn't as big a factor as it would be in a more aggressive game.

Randy, sorry I was so sharp-tounged in this thread but your reply-titles weren't all that fun either. I don't think you understand the power of position. In a loose game where it is difficult to put your opponents on hands, position is more important. You'll need all the advantage you can get. This is percisely why I put tight players on my left and the loose ones on my right. You keep the tight player at bay w/your preflop raises as he folds his AJ when you raise KQ, and you get to isolate/react to the loose players preflop/postflop.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

not that I agree with Randy about the whole situation, but position is MUCH less important in big pots than it is in 3-4 handed pots.

this whole situation isn't much more complicated than "your hand is just as good, if not better than their hands." you're taking a mediocre hand to war WITH position WITH a skill advantage. I don't see how you could possibly fold this
Old 12-16-2004, 10:40 AM

I don't see how you could possibly fold this

You don't because it's, um, how can I say this again:

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-16-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Widening our hand selection

I guess what concerns me playing the Q4s is what will you be playing with at the flop. Aside from flopping 2 Q's or a Q 4 you pretty much screwed. Even if you nail the flush there is a high probablitiy the K or A of the suit is still floating out there in a loose game. Also if you flop a single Q chances are someone is there with a Q and higher kicker. Its hard to read that in the ll games. Most players in the game will simply call preflop. Also no one holding an A or a K will have folded so you have a lot of people with outs calling against you.

Based on my experience playing hands at the 1bb games is that invariably the flop will be 3 5 6 and leave you with a open ended low straight that you will chase and either not hit or lose to someone holding a 7 8.

You can get lucky and win. But thats just what it is. This hand is a money burner because I know from experience. Better to show a little patience and play a stronger hand.

At most ll games the goal of most players is to reach the flop cheaply and try to make a monster hand. Use that against them by playing strong hands aggressively prelop when the odds are in you favor. If you loosen up make sure to play hands that give you the best shot for a hand that won't leave you limping to the river.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:04 PM

I agree. I noticed recently the most stressful part of any hand of poker I play is when I'm waiting to see whether or not I just bought the button. if I did, all is well and good with the world, and if I didn't then I just sort of brace myself and concentrate on flopping the joint [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

--turnipmonster
Old 12-16-2004, 12:25 PM

Joe, attempting to placate Randy when he gets bitchy is -EV. That's when you want to goad him and see if you can put him on wide open tilt.

What's really funny about this thread is that Randy joined the 4-8 game just to attempt to give me bad beats after crushing the $1-2 n/l, including winning two sizeable pots playing 2-7.

I do think in your move up, you've forgotten just how bad a whole table of players can really be at 4-8.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 PM

you've forgotten just how bad a whole table of players can really be at 4-8.

Have you played 20/40 at Foxwoods? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Trust me, I have not forgotten.

I feel bad for Randy, I was tough on him, I'm sorry he takes it so hard but I just can't let such thinking get out of line.

Peace,
Joe Tall