Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Open letter of thanks and apology

Dont use variance as an excuse, you are losing because you arent good enough.

i think this statement suggests maybe YOU should move down and get a better understanding of poker.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:10 PM

I think you should go with your feeling. If you think you're not good enough, then I think if you weigh the odds , it's probably more likely that you're doing something wrong then that you're just that unlucky guy that this is gonna happen to 2% of the time.

No Big Deal. Just move to full games.I'm still not convinced these 6 Max games are all they're cracked up to be and I myself moved back to full games a long time ago. I consider them WAY BETTER games and more profitable too. Even the 5-10 full party games which have the crappiest selection.

blubster
Old 12-12-2004, 06:25 PM

I'm not saying it to be an ass, 25k hands is a lot.

People can say blah blah you are a good player or whatever but you obviously have some leaks.

Your table selection may suck, you might be playing your B game too often, whatever it is you gotta figure it out.

It is so easy to play your B game when you arent fully focused. I am starting to have this problem also.

You have weak reads, you make a few dumb plays, a few extra call downs. Only takes a couple of mistakes an hour and you go from decent winner to a loser, add in a bit of bad luck and you are on a slide.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:25 PM

I was a 2-3 BB/100 player at the 5/10 6-8 tabling. When I moved up to 10/20 I was pretty much breakeven for the first 20k hands, hovering around .5 BB/100. I'm pretty sure I'm beating the game now for at least 2 BB/100 after getting a lot more hands in. It does happen, I've been there. Just tough it out, especially since we're only talking about 70 BB here and not a nasty run of 150-250 BB where your bankroll might be put in jeopardy.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it to be an ass, 25k hands is a lot.

People can say blah blah you are a good player or whatever but you obviously have some leaks.

Your table selection may suck, you might be playing your B game too often, whatever it is you gotta figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey,

No need to defend yourself.

I appreciate your input here. Really I do. I definitely play my B game too often.
I never thought you were being an ass.

That said, I also appreciate the kind words of nap and grisgra, and the encouragement to stick it out from everyone else.

To be frank, I can hardly believe the response this thread has generated. I'm overcome. You all rock, as I believe the young Americans used to say.

Guy.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:34 PM

By the way, Guy, I'm still waiting for that hand history review! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2004, 11:23 AM

hey guy,
after 11k hands my results are far from stellar (basically a little better than breakeven), but I think maybe you should take a brief break and then jump right back in. it sounds like you've been running a bit bad, and if you happen to lose a few more big pots than you win it can really affect your short term rate a lot, as you know.

also, if you want to trade blocks of hand histories to try and help each other out let me know.

--turnipmonster
Old 12-13-2004, 12:14 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2004, 12:55 PM

There is no question that you are a winning player going through a tough stretch. I played 6-max exclusively for about 6 months, moving from 1/2 to 5/10. At first, I loved 6-max, but after playing nothing else for so long, it got really old. I think I burned myself out and my results started to decline. So....I decided to start playing 3/6 full (5/10 full really sucks). And just recently, I just started playing $22 and $33 NL SNG. For me, it has been refreshing to mix between 3 different styles of Hold 'Em. Maybe others, including yourself, would benefit from this approach.

While 5/10 6max is undoubtedly the most profitable game out of my personal mix, I think I'm better off mentally by playing the various games.

Also, you might try reading through the psychology forum, if you haven't already. Some of the posts in that forum might give you a better perspective on things.

And lastly, I admire your classiness, especially with the undeserved harshness from certain posters.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:05 PM

I agree you should move to a different game until you get your confidence back. I encourage you NOT to give up playing the 5/10 short completely.

Once a week or so, especially after a winning session at some other game, give the 5/10 short a shot. Keep the sessions short, maybe 50 hands or less and analyze them carefully. If you quickly book a win, quit and go back to your regular game.

The idea is to play the game to learn, not to win, and to generate some success. I am betting that with this approach before long you will be back playing 5/10 short regualrly and winning to boot.

Good luck and good playing,,,,