Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 06:50 PM

Default Open letter of thanks and apology

Hey HUSHers,

Over recent months I have all but flooded this board with what have probably been largely straightforward, dull questions, certainly very little of interest, in my attempts to come to grips with the Party $5/10 6-max.

I'm losing in this game, for reasons I cannot fathom. It looks like a very soft game. It looks like I play considerably better than the opposition: tighter, more aggressive, better attention to odds etc. Nevertheless I keep losing.

It could be that I'm on a really bad run, or that I suck, or more likely a combination of these factors. Whatever it is, this is the only poker game I've ever had such a tough time with in five years of regular play, and it has affected my mind in a troubling way. As a result, I've found myself questioning everything I ever knew and making some amazingly poor posts as a result.

I've decided it's time for me to hang it up and go lose more slowly at $3/6.

I'd like to apologise for any irritation I may have caused, thank you for your patience and advice, and look forward to having another try after I've got my head back on straight.

Have fun at the tables.

Guy.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Open letter of thanks and apology

How large of a sample are we talking here?
Old 12-11-2004, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How large of a sample are we talking here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not large enough. 25,000 hands.

And the losses aren't large either: 70BB overall.

But the confusion and muddle headedness are real.
I need to go back to a game where I have a winning record so that I know, or can be more confident, that losses and long breakeven patches are more from running bad than playing bad.

Guy.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:02 PM

dude, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! 25K hands isnt near enough, especually only down 70BB overall. I made several attempts at the 5/10 6max game and found it so frustrating to lose in a game that I KNEW was incredibly profitable. I fell back to the full ring each time. I should have just toughed it out. Its just so streaky that you can easily be on a bad run.

How many tables are you playing? What do your stats look like? What is your win rate at 3/6 full, after how many hands?

my win rate after 30K hands at 5/10 6max had dropped to .3BB/100, 15K hands later its now 1.5BB/100....hang in there!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:13 PM

guy-

just by reading this forum and actually WANTING to improve, proves you can beat the 5/10.

that being said, if the game is messing with your head, drop down and play at a different level or play some full ring. i played about 8K hands at the party 15 and got crushed, yet i still "know" i can beat that game. it started to wear on me and when i got AA i would just wonder in my head how i was gonna lose this time. it was very unhealty and i just had to stop playing that particular game.

also, dont be in any rush to get back or feel you have to "get even" or something.

good luck
Old 12-11-2004, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

just by reading this forum and actually WANTING to improve, proves you can beat the 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice of you to say so, and at a rational level I believe this, but...

[ QUOTE ]

that being said, if the game is messing with your head, drop down and play at a different level or play some full ring. i played about 8K hands at the party 15 and got crushed, yet i still "know" i can beat that game. it started to wear on me and when i got AA i would just wonder in my head how i was gonna lose this time. it was very unhealty and i just had to stop playing that particular game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I feel. I am sure that taking a break is right. It might not have to be a long one; it might have to be permanent. I've got to take stock.

Thanks for posting. I do appreciate it.

Guy.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I made several attempts at the 5/10 6max game and found it so frustrating to lose in a game that I KNEW was incredibly profitable. I fell back to the full ring each time. I should have just toughed it out. Its just so streaky that you can easily be on a bad run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... Well, I am certainly on a bad run. Equally certainly, I'm not approaching the game properly, as sublime described in his post.

[ QUOTE ]

How many tables are you playing? What do your stats look like? What is your win rate at 3/6 full, after how many hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly playing one or two tables. My stats look "right" I think, all except the one about how much I'm winning. Here are a few:

VP$IP 22.47
PFR 14%
Folded BB to steal 67% (this is falling! was much higher at first)
W$wSF 36.76%
WtSD 33%
W$SD 52%

Aggression numbers by street are 1.3, 3, 2.7, 1.7.

Does anything look out of place there?

I won 2.2BB/100 at the $3/6 over 23k hands before coming to this game. I've also won 2.3BB/100 at the Stars $3/6 6-max over a tiny sample of 5000 hands. In 2001 I played almost exclusively the Paradise $1/2 5-max and won 700BB over I have no idea how many hands.

So I feel like I have a decent background for the game and I certainly have the bankroll. What I don't have, at the moment, is the ability to win, or the mental fortitude to stick it out.

I definitely need a break.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, though. I will bear everything you say in mind!

Thanks again,

Guy.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm losing in this game, for reasons I cannot fathom. It looks like a very soft game. It looks like I play considerably better than the opposition: tighter, more aggressive, better attention to odds etc. Nevertheless I keep losing.

It could be that I'm on a really bad run, or that I suck, or more likely a combination of these factors. Whatever it is, this is the only poker game I've ever had such a tough time with in five years of regular play, and it has affected my mind in a troubling way. As a result, I've found myself questioning everything I ever knew and making some amazingly poor posts as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

this my identical story about 10/20. just don't know what to make of it.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:48 PM

WtSD 33%
W$SD 52%

Your CSD(WtSD*W&SD)=.1716

Mine is .1798(5% better than yours) over my last 15k and I am pretty sure I'm running bad. You are almost certainly running bad.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:59 PM

We were all once beginners...all stupid questions are welcome.