Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: TPGK+ OESD against LAG maniac

I'd call here against a nutjob (you have redraws against up to a set, and 3 outs to split and (possibly) 3-4 outs to win against better), not to mention 11 outs (or more) twice against 2-pair, and a decent possibility of being good, but I definitely wouldn't raise preflop without a hand I'm willing to take to showdown, and KQo sure isn't one. You have position on him, win by calling, or value betting late. You can lose a few small pots and win one big one and be way up. Don't voluntarily make the pot bigger against a maniac until you're basically willing to commit your stack.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[
Well, normally I would agree, but this guy was so weak/easy to read post flop that every time i went HU againt him it would look like this: if I was the PF-raiser I'd bet and he'd fold. If he was the PF raiser he'd bet, Id re-raise, he'd fold. So, going HU against this guy was easy money. That is really why his re-raise on the flop concerned me. He hadn't done that before, altough I don't think he would overbet the nuts. I really don't think he picked up poker yesterday, I think he has played for a while and knows the basics, it's just that he thinks he can beat the game with his maniac-style, and who knows, maybe he can usually. A player who doesn't know anything could easally over bet the pot like that, as could a really good player. I don't put him in any of those categories though. And against anything but the nuts, or a set I think the call is good. The only thing I have to worry about really is AK, which he will have sometimes and won't have sometimes.

Point: I still think the call was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

my post about the isolation raise was in reference to preflop
Old 12-11-2004, 11:05 AM

Sry BK, I got carried away and went off subject.

Preflop:
I see what you're saying, how I lose value against weaker kings and queens by isolating. My point is though that against multiple callers K Qo is a drawing hand. If I called PF and got 2 more callers and missed the flop, maniac would bet the flop, and I certainly wouldn't want to play back at him with people behind me still to act.

Heads up against villain I wouldn't have to hit the flop. If neither of us hit I would still probably have the best hand.
Also, If my re-raise got called by someone else PF I know I'd really have to worry. If i just called and someone else called I wouldn't have a clue of his holding. It could be AK AQ, which could get me into alot of trouble, but it could also be someone calling with a worse hand against a maniac raiser.

I'm not sure of my reasoning here. Does it make any sen`se?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 AM

yea that is fine if you think the villian will very often check the flop then fold to your bet. if he is the type to do that, i guess he isnt really a "lag" however. i see what your saying though

even if this is the case, i still think it is probably more +EV to play kq in a multiway pot vs the lags any 2 cards and the loose calls of the other players. if your villian indeed is lag and the other players know it