Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: QQ Stop & Go & Stop

There has been plenty of discussion about 3-betting the flop, which I think is a no brainer here.

But when you say you should bet the river, but would fold to a raise? Dont you think alot of hands could raise you on the river with any T? By then, I think you are folding alot of winning hands if you folded to a raise on the river the way this hand played out.

Nick
Old 12-10-2004, 03:11 PM

This isn't even close. Reraise the flop and keep firing. You definetely have the best hand. A flopped set of tens or A7 or some such on the turn would be bad, but what are you gonna do? 3 betting the flop will hopefully make it heads up where you can induce a turn or river fold, unless they have that set and should cap it (so at least you know you are beat). Cold calling with A7 is definetely possible and tens is even more likely. Either way, you are the favorite and should play it accordingly to maintain that advantage.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:07 PM

is calling the flop and check/raising the turn an option?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:27 PM

Against some opponents, calling and trying to check-raise the turn would be okay, but against an unkown opponent, it's very risky because the flop raiser could easily be planning to check behind. He is in last position against two opponents and raised after a bet and a call which will frequently indicate a draw (or something else) that wants a free card on the turn. Alternately, he may not be planning to take a free card right now, but a turn card may end up coming that scares him out of betting. Generally, three-betting the flop in this situation is safer. If you know that this particular oppponent will always bet again on the turn, then waiting until then can be considred. However, note that if you do so you are giving correct odds to UTG+1 to call the single flop raise with a hand like JT (I don't know what kinds of hands people tend to coldcall with in this game). Eliminating him here with two more cold (or charging him to draw) isn't a bad idea.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know whether you were trying to apply the "stop and go" tactic here, but there is no such thing in limit poker

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand what you mean by saying that there "is no such thing" as this tactic. Maybe it's not a tactic you use and maybe it's not one that your usual opponents use, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. That doesn't even really make sense. It's just as possible in limit hold 'em as in other games to call a raise and then bet out on the next street (usually done to deny a free card if you suspect your opponent ,ay have been raising with a draw), whether you do it or not.

That said, I certainly agree that this was not the time for it.