Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 08:34 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Party 5/10 Winrates

press ctrl-F. type "favorite thread." click the link. it's pretty useful. better than bookmarking, which is what I do.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:39 AM

I have 2 ways of playing poker online:

1) Wanting to play as well as I can, adapt to game conditions and generally think about situations.

I do this with 3 tables and only occasionally.

2) Wanting to maximise my earn without needing to concentrate much. As well as wanting to make the time seem more bearable.

I do this with 6+ tables, whilst doing other things like playing guitar, looking at 2+2 etc and watching TV. This is my game state the vast majority of the time.

The 5/10 full games are not as hard as some may think, small adjustments are needed but they are easily beatable. They are also a LOT better than they were in the summer, they have gotten softer and more tables. Though the 6 max are still better.

I would recommend spending at least some time there though as well as 6 max before 15/30 at Party. Generally its a good idea to get to 15/30 and have missed enormous chunks of important concepts. Otherwise end upwith some of the posts in M/H Stakes, even as high as 100/200, from players who have jumped up. Some posts so basic for that it makes me cry.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I played 6-max tonight. Two hands to remember were when one guy checked through the river on a 973A9 board with 77 after I tried to check raise him with my trips, and when I flopped A77 with AA, and a guy ended up paying me $45 with 65o drawing 100% dead while catching a backdoor straight. the quality of play was the worst I've seen since .5/1, and I don't know that it'll make me a better player, but maybe that's because I've played there a decent amount already. I liked getting 360 hands/hr at 4 tables and I felt like I had a bigger skill advantage, so I guess I'll start playing it more. maybe I caught it at a good time, because I remember struggling with it the last time I played, which was around noon EST on a Sunday.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I played 6-max tonight. Two hands to remember were when one guy checked through the river on a 973A9 board with 77 after I tried to check raise him with my trips, and when I flopped A77 with AA, and a guy ended up paying me $45 with 65o drawing 100% dead while catching a backdoor straight. the quality of play was the worst I've seen since .5/1, and I don't know that it'll make me a better player, but maybe that's because I've played there a decent amount already. I liked getting 360 hands/hr at 4 tables and I felt like I had a bigger skill advantage, so I guess I'll start playing it more. maybe I caught it at a good time, because I remember struggling with it the last time I played, which was around noon EST on a Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

These games are fantastic just about all of the time. I've been playing in them a lot recently after deciding that playing smaller greatly increased my quality of life. IM me and I'll send you some stuff about them.

scrub
Old 12-08-2004, 09:55 AM

I dont know what to make of the 5/10. Time to time it's as loose as the 3/6. One difference might be that the bad players are slightly more aggressive.

Table selection is very important. As soon as a table gets a high average pot all the sharks will want to come in and once they do the table soon dies. It's not uncommon to find a table with players with vp$ip below 14 all over.

Its a rare case when a few semi-maniacs can get a table going for a long time.

I find it perplexing that so many tight players do like to cold-call with extreemly marginal hands at 5/10. I guess I will have to find new nickname and mix up my play much more.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:36 AM

kind of random thought inspired by your post:

since there are so many regulars at 5/10 full who we play thousands upon thousands of hands with, I wonder how many of them adjust their play based on ours. I also see tight players make loose calls from time to time.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:34 PM

My long term VPIP is about 21%, but I think that it varies a lot from table to table. A lot of tables, you can only play about 15-16%, but on some other tables, you can safely get up to about 30%. If the players to your left are fairly tight or tighter, you can really loosen up your standards on blind steals, because you have such a high success rate, and you can also loosen your standards on isolation raises, especially if the limper plays very predicatably postflop.

It is such a table by table thing, that it is hard to describe in abstract, but that is the general idea. It is just something that you have to look for, and then try when the situation seems right.

I think part of the reason, that that happens for me, is that I only do casual table selection, so I end up playing in a lot wider variety of table textures than some other players do. Sometimes it is fun to be playing on a real tight table, and being the table maniac and winning a lot of pots, instead of trying to always grind out an edge by having better starting cards.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:59 PM

haha, n00b

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 05:18 PM

Just a thought about datamining at the 5/10 level for you sthief since you've played a lot of 5/10 full and are now switching to 6-max.

I was talking to a friend about it and we realized that because I have thousands of hands at both the 5/10 full and 5/10 6-max levels that when I export notes/use player view, it combines the players overall VPIP, PFR, agressiong facter etc. giving me some incorrect statistics (I believe) if the player plays both 6-max and full at the 5/10 level.

My solution was just to start a 6-max database and keep those hands seperate from my full hands but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem or even noticed it?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:18 PM

Default well?

it's not that i don't believe you - wait, yes it is.