Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 09:17 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Party 5/10 Winrates

I've talked to a lot of people about the game and it doesn't seem like many, if any, are really crushing it. I saw one poster (don't remember who) post like a 3 BB/100 winrate, but I don't know anyone else over 2. I'm under 1.5. What gives?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Party 5/10 Winrates

Crappy game. I hear that the donors goto the 6 max tables. Mine is about .9BB/100 once you factor in the extra jackpot drop.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:26 PM

I had a 2.15 through roughly 20K hands but that doesn't really say anything. As I mentioned in another post, the games are really volatile. A great table can go to trash in like 5 minutes. I have no idea why this happens but when you're 5+ tabling like I do, it is really hard to keep tabs on all of your tables.

I would agree with the above post about all the donors going to 6-max. In my limited experience, 5/10 6-max players may be among the worst on the planet.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:27 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

it's not a crappy game. they are tighter but they still don't play well. it's very beatable
Old 12-06-2004, 09:32 PM

I think the analogy at Party is 5/10 is to 3/6 what 1/2 is to .5/1. And the 6-max games are to "blame".

Beatable, sure. Harder, yeah, and there may be a lot of times when the 10-max 5/10 games are simply too tough to be the worthwhile choice.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:33 PM

I am at 2.95 right now after about 95k hands. I am tight and extremely aggressive, and my game meshes well with that limit.

Anyways, the reason people don't (and can't) crush that game is because:

1. It's a very tough game generally, with a lot more tight, aggressive, and tricky play than other low limits. It's a huge skill jump from 3-6. Huge.

2. The table dynamics change very quickly. You can be at a really wild table for 20 hands and then it'll die all of a sudden for 100+ hands when 2 or 3 sharks show up and kill all the action. It's very difficult to practice solid game selection.

3. There is a really deadly combination of traits that 5-10 draws people to. The stakes are just low enough to get people gambling pre-flop, and just high enough so that those people rarely pay you off postflop. 5-10 is full of "loose-tight" players. Loose preflop, extremely tight postflop. So you get a lot of situations where someone shows you some total BS hand, you think they suck, and in reality they only really suck preflop. This leads to a rather harsh combination of being chased but not being paid off as much as chasing normally does.

4. People test you a lot more with different kinds of raises. The same person who may have just "made a play" on you, now might have a hand when he or she raises the turn on you. Many of the players, by design or not, are very effective at mixing up their raises.

5. Most of the truly garbage 5-10 players play 6max. I don't know why that is.

There are many more reasons, I'm sure, but those are the ones that leap to mind. I have heard 15-30 is better, because though it is aggressive, it stays aggressive all through the hand, so you can exploit that. But in 5-10, many players just find it really tough to know where they stand on different streets. This leads to costly errors that impact the winrate.

*wrists are tired now*
Old 12-06-2004, 09:36 PM

I don't know...I've had the same experience as you; I do think it is a tough game. Aside from Thursday / Friday nights, the games rarely have an avg pot size >7 BB. Think about how much of your winrate at other levels is comprised of the clown who pays you off with queen-high, "just to keep you honest". This just doesn't happen at 5/10.

In my infinite wisdom, I pretty much started out playing poker online at 5/10 and was extremely fortunate to start with a good stretch of cards. It ended after about 10K hands and I came right back to earth over the next 20K. End result at 5/10: not even .5 BB/100. Moved to 2/4 and 3/6 and am now happy with life again. Maybe after playing many more hands and reading SSHE I would be much better at 5/10 - I don't know. Situation has to be right for me to even sit down at 5/10 anymore (avg pot >9BB).
Old 12-06-2004, 09:37 PM

thanks for posting that. I'm interested because I know people are beating it like you are, but I wonder why certain people aren't. out of curiosity, do you pay any special attention to table selection, and how many tables do you play?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:42 PM

Shrug Josh, I play 6-8 tables and my win rate is about 1.6 and thats not even of a significant period (90k hands since January on and off).
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for posting that. I'm interested because I know people are beating it like you are, but I wonder why certain people aren't. out of curiosity, do you pay any special attention to table selection, and how many tables do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you were talking to me ... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I play 4 tables and I pay very, very close attention to table selection. Frankly, I am starting to play a lot more 3-6, because I find it a more enjoyable and just-as-profitable game for me. I don't know many people who beat the 5-10 for more than 2BB, but there are some. Basically, you need to really pay attention at 5-10, and really know your players to beat it for more than 2. I datamined it for about 2 months before I started there, and I pretty much know every decent player and how they play, as well as all the fish. When I sit down at a table, I have detailed notes on 7+ players 95% of the time, so that's a huge help.