Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Rick Reilly\'s insult of fossilman

I have no idea whether you know what you're talking about or whether you really do know how to play racketball, but I have watched and played against a number of people who appear to be in the same condition as Greg (and who happened to be lawyers, btw), who I have no doubt would beat you badly, regardless of how well you think you can play. Position and ball placement have far more to do with winning racketball than who can out-run the other. Unless you've seen Greg play, even if you've got trophies on your mantle, you really should keep your boasts to yourself.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If fossilman plays a decent game, you have no chance, unless you just happen to be a phenomenal athlete. There's a lot more to racqeutball than meets the eye.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have to be a "phenomal" athlete to beat someone who is badly out of shape. I would have him running so muchin the first 10 minutes he would need an oxygen tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman is right. If he can play, you'll be doing all the running. Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I joined the army in '92. I was 25 years old. I was overweight when I went in, and I was discharged (honorably) for failing to get down to the army's required weight or body fat percentage.

At the time of my discharge, I was running 6 miles every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; bicycling about 30 miles on Saturday; and playing racquetball for an hour on Tuesday and Thursday.

So don't necessarily equate appearance with endurance.

(What about Sunday? Why, I couldn't get out of bed, of course!)
Old 12-03-2004, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I joined the army in '92. I was 25 years old. I was overweight when I went in, and I was discharged (honorably) for failing to get down to the army's required weight or body fat percentage.

At the time of my discharge, I was running 6 miles every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; bicycling about 30 miles on Saturday; and playing racquetball for an hour on Tuesday and Thursday.

So don't necessarily equate appearance with endurance.

(What about Sunday? Why, I couldn't get out of bed, of course!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the Army for 4 years and I can easily say that people like you make me want to vomit. I have no doubt in my mind that if you even half assed tried to get in shape and meet the weight requirements you could have. A 25 year old male can have what, about 18% body fat? And you couldn't get below that? I know they gave you ample time and plenty of "encouragement" to do it. Of course this is a good thing because I sure as Hell wouldn't want to be fighting in Tikret with you next to me. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 12:12 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman is right. If he can play, you'll be doing all the running. Also, being overweight doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have good cardiovascular endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, no person that is overweight could ever do any cardiovascular activity longer than I could. EVER!
Old 12-03-2004, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The current World Series of Poker champ, Greg (Fossilman) Raymer, wears back-of-the-comic-book gag glasses and gemstone necklaces and goes about 275 pounds, though a good 3 percent of that is muscle ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Rude but funny. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Raymer, who, like all championship poker players, is extremely competitive (despite his genial manner), responded by e-mailing Reilly a challenge to play him in a racquetball match. Reilly turned him down, claiming he had never played racquetball, and suggested they do battle in golf, a sport Reilly plays frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every PRO poker player I have seen play the game of golf SUCK! And i'm sure Reilly was well aware of this before turning down Raymers racquetball challenge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
1.) "I thought that was the point of the column -- that a physically fit guy like you could beat a doughboy like me in any competitive activity requiring legitimate athletic ability."

2.) Even if he somehow beat Reilly in golf, it would do nothing to disprove Reilly's contention that the average poker player is a hopelessly immobile lard-butt, "since there are plenty of top golfers -- even some major tournament winners -- who are fat."

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical Raymer fashion, polite and mannerd. Well done.

[ QUOTE ]
I knew all the Raymer lovers would jump all over Reilly for this..

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all, i'm sure there are a few more dozen just waiting to post a reply.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:24 AM

Yep. Confirmed. You're a moron.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep. Confirmed. You're a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one.... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 12:42 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to be a "phenomal" athlete to beat someone who is badly out of shape. I would have him running so muchin the first 10 minutes he would need an oxygen tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every year at my high school an old tubby Priest held a racquetball tournament. If you advanced to the championship match you of course played him. When I left high school he was approaching 70, and still undefeated.

This whole argument is similar to the Paul Phillips scrabble affair.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:58 AM

No, really, you are