Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Rick Reilly\'s insult of fossilman

From Espn's Jackpot Jay;

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of weeks ago, in his backpage column in Sports Illustrated, Rick Reilly took a few shots at poker players in general, and at Raymer in particular.

"This poker craze is the biggest waste of time since Stevie Wonder went to a mime festival ..." Reilly wrote. "... I haven't seen this many doughy people since the Krispy Kreme company picnic. Do they tan under 40-watt bulbs? Where is the thrill in watching guys with 300 cholesterol levels play cards and rattle their chip stacks 1,000 different ways? The current World Series of Poker champ, Greg (Fossilman) Raymer, wears back-of-the-comic-book gag glasses and gemstone necklaces and goes about 275 pounds, though a good 3 percent of that is muscle ...

"These people spend more time on their butts than FDR did ...

"What's ESPN going to put on next, the World Hairline-Receding Championships?"

Raymer, who, like all championship poker players, is extremely competitive (despite his genial manner), responded by e-mailing Reilly a challenge to play him in a racquetball match. Reilly turned him down, claiming he had never played racquetball, and suggested they do battle in golf, a sport Reilly plays frequently. (Yes, this is the same Reilly who once famously challenged Sammy Sosa to pee into a cup on the spot after Sosa claimed he was willing to do just that to disprove rumors that he was a steroid abuser, and then publicly took the Dominican slugger to task for chickening out.)

In a subsequent e-mail, Raymer politely pointed out two things to Reilly:

1.) "I thought that was the point of the column -- that a physically fit guy like you could beat a doughboy like me in any competitive activity requiring legitimate athletic ability."

2.) Even if he somehow beat Reilly in golf, it would do nothing to disprove Reilly's contention that the average poker player is a hopelessly immobile lard-butt, "since there are plenty of top golfers -- even some major tournament winners -- who are fat."

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf, huh? I think Russ Hamilton would be MORE than happy to take Reilly up on a golf match, and he was once 4 spins or close.

Alas, Reilly doesn't have enough money.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Rick Reilly\'s insult of fossilman

[ QUOTE ]
1.) "I thought that was the point of the column -- that a physically fit guy like you could beat a doughboy like me in any competitive activity requiring legitimate athletic ability."

2.) Even if he somehow beat Reilly in golf, it would do nothing to disprove Reilly's contention that the average poker player is a hopelessly immobile lard-butt, "since there are plenty of top golfers -- even some major tournament winners -- who are fat."

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are good points by Greg and I'm assuming Reilly had no response since it's likely he's a giant pussy and doesn't want to get shown up. I like the phrase "hopelessly immobile lard-butt".
Old 12-02-2004, 04:35 PM

How about Dewey Tomko? No holds barred (vaseline on the clubface ok) or straight up (rules of golf) should be fine. I think I read that he was scratch.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 PM

scratch golfer and great poker player, not bad for a 1st grade teacher.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:33 PM

To me this guy sounds jealous and shallow.

Let's play dodge ball with him.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Is there an over under on how many times this will get posted here?

Overall it was a great article though, i hate rick Reilly and fossilman did a great job sticking up for himself.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Espn's Jackpot Jay;

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of weeks ago, in his backpage column in Sports Illustrated, Rick Reilly took a few shots at poker players in general, and at Raymer in particular.

"This poker craze is the biggest waste of time since Stevie Wonder went to a mime festival ..." Reilly wrote. "... I haven't seen this many doughy people since the Krispy Kreme company picnic. Do they tan under 40-watt bulbs? Where is the thrill in watching guys with 300 cholesterol levels play cards and rattle their chip stacks 1,000 different ways? The current World Series of Poker champ, Greg (Fossilman) Raymer, wears back-of-the-comic-book gag glasses and gemstone necklaces and goes about 275 pounds, though a good 3 percent of that is muscle ...

"These people spend more time on their butts than FDR did ...

"What's ESPN going to put on next, the World Hairline-Receding Championships?"

Raymer, who, like all championship poker players, is extremely competitive (despite his genial manner), responded by e-mailing Reilly a challenge to play him in a racquetball match. Reilly turned him down, claiming he had never played racquetball, and suggested they do battle in golf, a sport Reilly plays frequently. (Yes, this is the same Reilly who once famously challenged Sammy Sosa to pee into a cup on the spot after Sosa claimed he was willing to do just that to disprove rumors that he was a steroid abuser, and then publicly took the Dominican slugger to task for chickening out.)

In a subsequent e-mail, Raymer politely pointed out two things to Reilly:

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf, huh? I think Russ Hamilton would be MORE than happy to take Reilly up on a golf match, and he was once 4 spins or close.

Alas, Reilly doesn't have enough money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew all the Raymer lovers would jump all over Reilly for this but it's freakin true! Walk into a pokerroom and see how many of the players are overweight, prolly %80. On a side note, I've played racquetball about ten times in my life and I can safely say that no one as overweight as Raymer could ever beat me, EVER! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2004, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Walk into a pokerroom and see how many of the players are overweight

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that remark.

I'm in shape. Round is a shape.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:42 PM

Default 2+2 challenge

I think we have the makings of a challenge here.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(vaseline on the clubface ok)

[/ QUOTE ]

does this really work?