Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: What\'s your flop action and why? 2-flops.

I bet the first hand because it can handle the heat of an early raise. Its also much less likely someone will bet on the rag flop.

The second one I go for a check/raise because its more likely that a bet will come from a pair of queens. If you bet a raise may come from a queen shortening the field which you dont want.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:39 PM

I agree cnfuzzd's response. You definitely want to be pumping the pot when you have so many draws in the first hand. Second hand, I wanted to check/call, but I like cnfuzzd's response much better.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:44 PM

I'd bet both as I feel I have a ton of equity. I like the first flop better.

I feel like that is too simple, so to anticipate your answer, I'm going to say bet the first, check the second as it's more likely to be raised.

Now the real question: Your students???????
Old 12-01-2004, 12:08 AM

In the past, I'd bet both of these hands without a second thought just as a standard semi-bluff/value bet with a flush draw. I think now I would lean more towards checking in the second case because you just end up getting raised by UTG and getting your self heads-up much more often than you like.

The difference between the 2 hands comes down to
a) Hand 1 gives you a gutshot str flush draw and a potential overcard out with the T, this makes getting isolated a smaller concern because even against a made hand you are even money if not a slight favorite.
b) Hand 2 has a Q on the board which is a card people like to limp with. This means the chances of getting raised and isolated are a bit greater and the chances of taking down the pot on the flop even less likely than in hand 1 and therefore makes a bet less attractive.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:02 AM

On the first flop I would bet out unless I knew someone on my immediate left would bet for me where I would check raise and pump the pot all the way on the flop with this super strong draw. On the second flop I would check and call and hope to make my flush because I have no outs I need to clean up and my hand is unlikely good. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 02:43 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Joe -

In hand one I don't see much of a way to screw the hand up other than a bet or preferably 4 bets not going into the pot. You really don't care how many call, raise or fold, the big question will be when the smoke clears what is the best strategy for the turn.

On hand two with 2 cards in the range I'm a little more apt to check raise or check cold call the flop to capture value. I'm not going to limit this field to semibluffable so making either my flush or backdoor straight draws as profitable as possible becomes important.

Note: that if the flop checks through and only 1 player bets an overcard on the turn, I'm considering a fold.

slavic
Old 12-01-2004, 07:57 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'd bet both. I don't know why. most people don't agree and the fact that you posted two versions suggests that you don't either.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:11 AM

Hand 1: Bet. Can't be sure who will bet this hand for you plus you have a huge number of outs so even if you get raised from EP it is not a disaster by any means.

Hand 2: While I think betting is OK I check here since: a) it is more likely that someone will bet for you with a Queen on board and b) if you bet it is much more likely that you will get raised from an EP player since there is a Queen on board. In this hand getting raised from EP and seeing a lot of folds is not what you want. On the other hand since you described this as a typical loose passive $2/4 game that risk is reduced. I think checking and betting here are close but I vote for checking. Of course, if the bet comes from your left and everyone calls you can then check-raise for value.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:45 AM

Hand 1: Bet. Obviously this is a huge draw and you want a family pot. This flop likely missed everyone so trying for a checkraise runs a serious risk of a check through. Overcards will call you but won't bet it themselves. If you get lucky and are raise, it gives the chance to 3-bet and/or cap.

Hand 2: Obviously not as strong a draw and with a paint card present, I like trying to checkraise this since it's more likely someone will bet. Plus with a Q-9 on the board there's likely some gutshots lurking so I should get some company.

PS: You mentioned "one of my students". Are you teaching holdem?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:03 AM

Hand 1: I bet. I have a four flush and an overcard on a board that is draw heavy but not in the big card playing zone. I want to bet here and have a little something in the pot if I am fortunate enough to hit this flush. Hitting the overcard if I get a few callers on the turn is not much of a consolation though, its likely some has the str8 draw if that occurs, but not definitely. I don't want to check raise out of position, I'd rathe rbet this hand and get callers, rather than shut people out. Also will give me odds more than likely to see the river card if I build the pot now.If I check, its possible it gets bet and raised to me, then I'll be sorry I didn't bet. Also, betting out doesn't look like a flush draw, looks more like a made hand, so if your flush does hit, go ahead and fire again.

Hand 2: A little more difficult. You no longer have an overcard. this board is very draw heavy and in the playing zone. This board I check, and hope its not raised back to me. I want to make my hand cheaply here, as if I hit the T its not a great card for me to hit. Slow down here, and try to make the flush cheap. If you make it on the turn, lead right out.