Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Has any other winning player been hit this hard??

I have been hit hard by streaks too but have gone a step further and try to get back my winnings in 10-20 limit or something, A MISTAKE. I realize there are swings involved and now since I keep a spreadsheet can see sometimes a slow climb but seems always to be profit increasing.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:36 PM

just lost another 4 in a row, so the count is up to -$1083.

2 more running, and thats the end of thaat online bankroll. I cant say that I have ever had to reload before.

Can I scrape together a no reload adn rebuild the bankroll from the 2 tourneys I have remaining????

No worries if I cant. I have a big offline BR to work out of.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:46 PM

and BTW does this post come off like a whine post? I can honestly say I am not crying about this, I just think its a good idea to question your game after a swing this enormous.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:25 AM

i've had 30 buy-in down swings... two of them actually (one 42 buy-ins, one 33 buy-ins), over the past 6000 SNGs.

it's part of the reason why i cringe a little bit whenever i read the bankroll recommendations on this board. A 30 buy-in bankroll is okay for someone who can reload. But for someone like me who lives entirely off of sngs, it's inevitable that i would bust out with only a 30 buy-in roll.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:36 AM

No, I have never taken a 30 buy-in hit all at once, ever. I've "dumped $3k" in the $109s, but it was $1k on three separate occasions, with some big wins in-between.

If you are playing 20% ROI poker, this is VERY unlikely. I think it is much safer to assume that you are playing something closer to break-even poker right now. The good news is that I know these games are still very beatable, so your problem has a solution.

Personally, I think 8-tabling is insane and I would definitely recommend sticking to 4-tabling through any tough waters. I know people may be better than me at multi-tasking, but 8 games just strikes me as fairly impossible to play my "A" game.

I sent you a PM with an offer to take a look at a couple hh.

eastbay
Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 AM

Maybe you should buy "Master Party Poker."
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 12:58 AM

Default not that hard but....

I recomend switch games for a bit. Hold'em can get so boring. If your eight tabling, you are probably bored of holdem. Try 2-3 tabling and play omaha hi/lo, or regular holdem. Keep your creative poker juices going. Other poker games are actually quite fun. Remember back when you didnt need to play eight games at once just to keep your patience..Plus they're just as easy to beat.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Re: not that hard but....

I am up and down in the $30's like a yo-yo lately, get up to almost $1k, drop down to ~$700, get some ITMs, drop again to ~$550, just before I hit the $500 where I have to drop again to $20s I then go on a streak of ITMs which puts me back to around $900. It's equally frustrating I can assure you. When I played you recently I saw nothing at all wrong with your game, so I wouldn't worry at all about that.

PS When you say you steal with AQs in late position, do you include after limpers too, because unless the vast majority of the limpers are the "seeing >50% of flops" type, I will just limp along with them.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:46 AM

i posted my worst swings playing $200's a few weeks ago - i lost around 32 buy-ins in a stretch of about 40 games - 2 days later i won around 35 buy-ins in a 35 game stretch

these 2 swings were completely bizarre when looked at over the course of 1,500 odd $200's i played - i think my next worse downswing was less than 20 buy-ins

personally i find that if i run bad its either because i run bad sometimes or because i try too hard - trying too hard makes me impatient and i fail to spot the mistakes

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 11-30-2004, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I already play tight as a drum on the first 4 levels.

I won't even limp in with AQs rounds 1-3. I start stealing with a hand like that with 3xbb in the late positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you really think this is good play? i'm not sure what the 30's are like, i play at the 20's and i think it's definitely +EV to open raise with this hand from MP on. in EP you might want to simply limp.

in the 20's people will still call with junk. i usually pick up some good pots with AQ vs. Ax and i feel you may be missing out on these oppurtunities. if there's some heavy pressure coming at you after the flop you can always drop the hand.

actually in posting this i realized you probably play at party where you only start with 800 chips thus have to be more careful with them. i play at Stars with 1500 starting chips.

nonetheless, i'd like to hear your thoughts on this.