Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Has any other winning player been hit this hard??

Since July 1st I have played 1187 of the 30+3s with an roi of 21.96(including the recent bad run)

I took all the beatings on one poker account. In theory my ror should be the exact same on both accounts.

Empire last 68 games
ITM 23.53%
1st 2
2nd 4
3rd 10
4th 14
5th 10
6th,7th 13 each

LOST <font color="red"> $951 </font>

If anyone else posted this, I would say they need serious serious work on their game, but I feel my game should never ever lose this badly.

I managed to lose 29 buy ins in only 68 games.

I am ITM only 35% with a tiny roi of 9.38% for the last 64 party games.

Based on my posts what do you think my problem might be? I am going out of my head now. I will post some HHs later, because I am really down about my game right now. I think my only problem might be getting confused about when its push w/any two time, and when its best to just fold fold fold. 3rd place has also been my bane as of late.

Oddly, I have kept my cool through it all, despite some minor tantrums after the fact. This is the first time where the stats were worse then they felt on the poker table.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Has any other winning player been hit this hard??

The only thing I can think that I have changed about my game is my avatar. I think im going back to the Dum Dum lollipop.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Let me paraphrase what the others will probably say to this question:

Eastbay: "yawn"
AleoMagus: yes (long)
JA Sucker: yes (N/M)
Strassa: "imagine that same run playing $215's"

Personally, the exact same thing at the exact same stakes happened to me 2 months ago. I lost about the same amount, too... but it wasn't exclusively at the $33's. I was playing some multis too, trying to get it back at once. (didn't work). I wouldn't worry until your streak hits 200 SNGs and your ITM% is still under 35%. I haven't seen that happen to a winning player yet... but it's still possible, though unlikely.

Still, I'd drop down in limits for a while... if for no other reason than to slow the bleeding. Remember that when you drop down, not only do you lose less if you continue to "run badly," but your ITM% will increase and thus your chances of continuing on a prolonged losing streak will decrease.

Irieguy
Old 11-29-2004, 09:13 PM

I have already decided to drop down to 4tables opposed to 8.

I have never heard of any one of those players mentioned ever having a 30 buy in downswing.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 PM

What if the fish have started reading 2+2? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Any way to check to see if the # of forum readers has increased lately? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2004, 10:36 PM

My suggestion is just to play really, really tight. Even start 4 SNGS up and then come back to the computer in 20 mins. Come back at 25/50. When I am playing badly 10/15 to then 2nd half of 25/50 is a danger zone, I put my chips in during marginal situations. One trend I have observed is that by 25/50 or farther the players who will draw out on you to flushes/straights are all gone. I get drawn out on much less after 25/50, when I lose I push with a flat out worse hand.

Try playing mega tight, that way you'll find yourself down to 5/6 players easy and can work from there.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never heard of any one of those players mentioned ever having a 30 buy in downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

AleoMagus has definitely had one, eastbay may've in the 100's and strassa...I'm not sure but I think he came close once?

It's pretty unavoidable, IMO, but 4 tabling is a good idea just in case of tilt.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:04 PM

Hi Stupid Sucker. (great name BTW)

I recnently (Nov. 1) began muti-tabling the $10+1 on Party. I was red hot with an ROI of 38% after my first 300. And then over my next 75, I had an ROI of .06 (during that stretch). I freaked out and thought I lost my game, only to go on a red hot run (10 1st places out of 35 tourneys) to bring my ROI up to a respectable 32.5%.

My point isn't to make you feel any better (because I'm sure it won't) but to thank you for showing me the bad streaks that can happen. Next month I am playing the $20s, and with a guaranteed decrease in ROI and ITM, my variance will most definitely increase (especially in terms of losing streaks), and hopefully I will be better prepared for them emotionally. Keep your head up!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My suggestion is just to play really, really tight. Even start 4 SNGS up and then come back to the computer in 20 mins. Come back at 25/50. When I am playing badly 10/15 to then 2nd half of 25/50 is a danger zone, I put my chips in during marginal situations. One trend I have observed is that by 25/50 or farther the players who will draw out on you to flushes/straights are all gone. I get drawn out on much less after 25/50, when I lose I push with a flat out worse hand.

Try playing mega tight, that way you'll find yourself down to 5/6 players easy and can work from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already play tight as a drum on the first 4 levels.

I won't even limp in with AQs rounds 1-3. I start stealing with a hand like that with 3xbb in the late positions.

I know that Aleo and eastbay have both posted about a bad runs. Eastbay's as I recall was because of ring games not SnGs. I dont think Aleo's was more then 20 buy ins.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 PM

I have had a very bad run recently... however I think it's simply because I have just had terrible luck at all crucial moments:

#Tournies = 28

1st 0
2nd 2
3rd 6

I can honestly say I've never had worse luck in my life [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] My average stats go as:

1st 13%
2nd 14%
3rd 15%